Goose broke egg that is almost ready to hatch...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by livininbrazil, Aug 28, 2013.

1. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I discovered that my goose has broken one of her eggs the air-sac end. There´s a live gosling inside, but I reckon it shouldn´t hatch for a couple of days. The membrane is intact. Is there anything I can do to help it until it´s due? I put a piece of sticky tape over the hole so that the membrane doesn´t dry out, although it already looks quite dry to me. Any experience of this anyone?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would just try to keep the egg together as much as possible until it hatches. sounds like you did good. Wait and see.

3. livininbrazil

Thanks for the reassurance. I´ll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it´ll hatch along with the others.

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I know a chicken would want to investigate the egg, but geese may not try and break it open all the way.

5. livininbrazil

I´m sure she won´t try to break it on purpose, she´s so maternal, the silly thing even rolls stones under her to hatch out. It´s difficult to get her off the nest even when the goslings are hatched, as she drags anything under her to keep incubating! I think the greatest danger is the imbalance of humidity, or bactéria, so hopefully the tape will help. Thanks.

6. ivyrash

ivyrash Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Havensville, KS
    I know nothing about hatching geese but if your concerned about humidity couldn't you wet a papertowel and put part way around the egg just to add some humidity or maybe put a wet towel around the nest area, don't know, just trying to help. Good luck!

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if the goose is still sitting on the egg, as long as the break was not real big I am sure it is getting enough humidity, plus the momma goose would not want to sit on a wet paper towel.. If it was in an incubator the the towel would be good.

8. livininbrazil

I thought about spraying water on the egg but then I could do more damge by upsetting the goose, she´s very pretective of her eggs. So, she has a big bowl of water near-by, enough for her to get into, then she can take the moisture back to the eggs, just like normal. I´m watching out for when she gets off her eggs, then I´ll shoot down there and see if egg is doing ok. She´s never off for long, so I have to listen out for the "momma´s off the nest" calls that go on between the geese. Will let you know if it´s been a success or not, should know by the weekend. Thanks for your suggestions.

9. livininbrazil

Sadly the gosling died. The goose came off the nest, so I ran down there to have a look, but the egg complete with gosling was as flat as a pancake. Such a shame. Completely formed, just needed to use up the yolk and wake up. Shame. I think either the egg collapsed due to losing its strength, or the goose rejected it. She´d rather hatch out a stone, it would seem! Silly goose. I think if it ever happens again, probably won´t, I´ll pop the egg under a lamp for the couple of days.

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Sorry about you gosling!! I have a lone goose in with my chickens and ducks. She always looks whisfully at the momma hens and ducks having babies. But she has killed hens before out of jealousy and if she had babies it could get worse. but for the most part she gets along. more with ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by