1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose cooking help!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Nov 11, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I didn't think I would ever say this, but its SUPER true! My family was extremely blessed this Thanksgiving! We've deal with some horrible happenings this year, many family lay offs, hours cut, money issues, 2 deaths in the family, several legal issues that have just made things stressful and worse finacially... but still... we've gotten through it all together and we just wanted to figure out HOW we would manage the holidays.

Well, my sister is on foodstamps and she got an amazing increase in the amount she got so we were able to buy everything for a fantastic feast on her food stamps to feed us all. So we went shopping to get everything we needed for stuffing, greenbean casserole, mashed potatoes, rice, cranberry sauce, gravy and 3 pies! Mmmmm...

Then came finding the turkey... 3 stores we go to get the turkey and no one has any (other then butterball with NO ONE in my family will eat YUCK), I finally find a couple no name farm turkies (which I prefer) but the max weight was 14lbs?! And they only had 1 that size. I asked if they had more or were getting more... we needed a 20 lb'r. This was going to be a dream meal! A real celebration.... and I was feeding 10 people who all get to take home leftovers... its tradition! They say 14lbs is the largest bird that get?! WHAT FOR REAL?!

We hit another store and just ask, they only carry butterball... so no matter what we say or do, we end up at Walmart (small town does not have endless choices). Walmart has butterball! ARGH! Then I find 1 precooked hickory smoked turkey, 10 lbs max.... $25... my sister says she'll eat it, it sounds good... so we get it... but its NOT enough.... what to do!? Right next to those are duck and goose!!! GOOSE?! I've never had goose... I want goose... so I talk my sister into it. Grab a 10lb goose to cook with the turkey. OMG... that goose was $50!!! It better be the best goose EVER!

Turkey only has to be heated back up, so it won't take up much oven time. But the goose?! How long!? What degree? What should I flavor with?! I'm so lost!!! I assumed its like a duck, tender... a dark meat?! Or was I wrong?! How would I make a goose gravy?! I'm drooling just thinking about this?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I have only cooked a goose once (roasted)- it was great, but in my humble opinion the only thing really edible was the breast, there wasn't a whole heck of a lot for the price or effort, although what we got was great. Now last year I had some smoked goose TO DIE FOR! I am now a huge goose fan and intend on raising some next year just to smoke. Sorry I can't help with a recipe but I would suggest checkingout some cooking web sites for something this advanced.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok doing a search on a bake site (bakespace.com) and trying to get some personal opinions. Finding a random suggestion or recipe isn't the same as someone answering a question with their heart in it! You know!? [​IMG]

I want this to be special... especially if someone ends up hating the smoked turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by