Goose/Duck newbie - advice appreciated!

Coolbreeze89

Songster
5 Years
Apr 7, 2018
Central Texas
Finally getting to start my flock! I bought 10 one-week-old (and 5 two-week-old) Muscovy ducklings, and then in a fit of “poultry math”, took in 4 Toulouse goslings (one is 4weeks, others are 2 weeks). I have them all on flock raiser. I have two different brooders going for the ducklings. The person I got the geese from said they’d been living outside, but I have them indoors til we get back in the 60s and 70s in a couple days (Texas). Everyone has water available for drinking/beak washing. I’m finishing off a walk-in shelter with outdoor run that I will use for nighttime protection once everyone can be outside.
Questions:
1. When CAN they live outside?
2. Oyster shell should be available starting when?
3. I want everyone to free range during the day (4 acres of fenced yard), then sleep in coop/run... I’ll keep pool, food, water in the coop area, but will that be enough to lure them all back? I’m nervous about the first time I let them out...
4. I have no idea on gender of goslings. From my reading, I should be ok even if more than one gander. (I have a lake on my property that I can move and combative Muscovy Drake’s, if I have too many).
5. Any other guidance? I’m reading every thread on BYC about muscovies and Toulouse, and I appreciate everyone’s input. TIA!

Congrats on getting your flock started!

1. Really, the safest bet is when they're fully feathered. However, I've found that goslings are pretty tough after about three weeks old. My newest Pomeranians are working on about 4 and a half weeks old and are outside now in a pen with a shelter equipped with a heat lamp. It's gotten down into the twenties the last couple of nights here and they've been pretty comfortable. It really depends on the weather.

2. I offer oyster to my ducks and geese when they're laying. My ducks aren't as predictable with their laying habits as the geese, so when I'm finding duck eggs they get oyster shell. Geese being heavily seasonal layers, I start offering it in the spring.

3. The only ones I'd be really worried about are the Muscovies. They're terrific fliers. In fact, my neighbor and I have "shared custody" of my scovy flock since they have found his pond. I'd keep them locked up in their coop for at least a week before letting them out to free range. I wouldn't worry about the geese too much. They're really creatures of habit and don't like to have their routines messed up. However, they are quite content to stay outside in all types of weather. Mine only really go in their shelter if the wind is blowing really hard. Geese aren't as susceptible to predators as ducks or chickens, but they're by no means predator proof, so it is important for them to be locked up at night. Mine are pretty good at putting themselves away, but occasionally they'll want to hang out outside and I'll need to herd them in, especially on a rainy night.

4. Sexing geese can be pretty difficult. I still am unsure of the gender on one of my yearling Poms. Vent sexing adult birds isn't that difficult. I'm too scared to do it on babies though. You can watch videos on how to vent sex on YouTube if you're interested. Other ways to guess on gender is by the bird's voice. A more obvious way is to wait and see if they lay an egg, of course. Also you can look for differences in disposition and attitude. Ganders will be more standoffish and they tend to just have a "stance": nose tipped up in the air and chest puffed out and alert. Females usually have their bodies in a more passive position. Keeping multiple ganders shouldn't be too much of a problem. You may run into some difficulties during breeding season when they start to spar with each other. Even then, it may not be too bad. You just want to make sure there's not a smaller gander constantly getting his butt handed to him to the point where he'll get hurt, or a bigger gander that's overly-aggressive. You also don't want your girls getting over-bred. The scovies will be easier to sex. Males will have more carruncle and will have bigger crests, and will just be bigger in general. Same thing though. Make sure no girls are getting over-bred or there aren't scuffles that get out of hand.

5. Keep up on that homework! Read, read, read, and learn as you go. Ducks and especially geese are some of the hardiest birds you can own. Geese can live almost exclusively on pasture in the springtime when there is plenty of forage. Plus they make great pets. I love Muscovies too. Very interesting and personable birds. Good luck!

Congrats on getting your flock started!

1. Really, the safest bet is when they're fully feathered. However, I've found that goslings are pretty tough after about three weeks old. My newest Pomeranians are working on about 4 and a half weeks old and are outside now in a pen with a shelter equipped with a heat lamp. It's gotten down into the twenties the last couple of nights here and they've been pretty comfortable. It really depends on the weather.

2. I offer oyster to my ducks and geese when they're laying. My ducks aren't as predictable with their laying habits as the geese, so when I'm finding duck eggs they get oyster shell. Geese being heavily seasonal layers, I start offering it in the spring.

3. The only ones I'd be really worried about are the Muscovies. They're terrific fliers. In fact, my neighbor and I have "shared custody" of my scovy flock since they have found his pond. I'd keep them locked up in their coop for at least a week before letting them out to free range. I wouldn't worry about the geese too much. They're really creatures of habit and don't like to have their routines messed up. However, they are quite content to stay outside in all types of weather. Mine only really go in their shelter if the wind is blowing really hard. Geese aren't as susceptible to predators as ducks or chickens, but they're by no means predator proof, so it is important for them to be locked up at night. Mine are pretty good at putting themselves away, but occasionally they'll want to hang out outside and I'll need to herd them in, especially on a rainy night.

4. Sexing geese can be pretty difficult. I still am unsure of the gender on one of my yearling Poms. Vent sexing adult birds isn't that difficult. I'm too scared to do it on babies though. You can watch videos on how to vent sex on YouTube if you're interested. Other ways to guess on gender is by the bird's voice. A more obvious way is to wait and see if they lay an egg, of course. Also you can look for differences in disposition and attitude. Ganders will be more standoffish and they tend to just have a "stance": nose tipped up in the air and chest puffed out and alert. Females usually have their bodies in a more passive position. Keeping multiple ganders shouldn't be too much of a problem. You may run into some difficulties during breeding season when they start to spar with each other. Even then, it may not be too bad. You just want to make sure there's not a smaller gander constantly getting his butt handed to him to the point where he'll get hurt, or a bigger gander that's overly-aggressive. You also don't want your girls getting over-bred. The scovies will be easier to sex. Males will have more carruncle and will have bigger crests, and will just be bigger in general. Same thing though. Make sure no girls are getting over-bred or there aren't scuffles that get out of hand.

5. Keep up on that homework! Read, read, read, and learn as you go. Ducks and especially geese are some of the hardiest birds you can own. Geese can live almost exclusively on pasture in the springtime when there is plenty of forage. Plus they make great pets. I love Muscovies too. Very interesting and personable birds. Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed, thoughtful response. I sincerely appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom