Goose egg day 32 no internal pip. HELP!

janelikesburds

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
Hello. It's my first time incubating goose eggs. This egg was from one of my first year goose who started to get wet feather syndrome middle this year. Her symptoms became worse halfway through the incubation --she was completely soaked all the time, gradually turning into a bag of bones -- so I torn the nest. Since she doesn't really hang out with others in the pond since her feather condition started I thought all her eggs were empty. However before i threw them out I found this one egg with a nice and lively embryo! So I put it in the incubator with other goose eggs just to see how it turns out.

This egg is TINY! Only 2/3 size of my normal sized goose eggs. By about day 25 the moisture loss is less than optimal -- but again I have no reference, only judging the size of the air sac. I didn't have high hopes in it, and was just going to let it run its course.

Today is day 32. The air sac drawn down 2.5 days ago but no internal pip whatsoever. But during the two days there were a lot of membrane tapping without anything happening! This morning there was no sound, no peep , no chirp, and hasn't been any movement for a whole day. I wonder if it's stuck? Too weak?? Just snoozing and being late?? (Btw It has been under a wet goose for two weeks, on a two-hour plane ride, as well as half a day in the trash pile.)

ANYWAY, I thought if I do nothing at this point it might just expire anyway, nothing to lose (but I could be wrong...), so I opened a hole on the fat end (size of the iphone home button) where the beak had been tapping. A part of the membrane in the air sac close to where I opened looks yellow, looks like the baby was already breathing through it but just not breaking through? AND IT MOVED A LITTLE AND THERES THE TAPPING OF THE MEMBRANE AGAIN (on the dry bit)! I've never helped a chick EVER. I tried to figure out where the beak is on the other side of the membrane, but accidentally poked a hole on the drying bit of membrane and IT BLED!!

ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif

I stopped right there and the egg is back in the bator with lots of wet towels and sponges. IT'S STILL ALIVE and the bleeding stopped fairly soon after. WHAT DO I DO NOW??!!

=========

OK! It sounds like it's breathing through my accidental hole! Not dying anytime soon. I will keep an eye on it and just keep the humidity up for now.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Do you know for sure this is day 32? It could be a little behind also because of all the time it has been out of heat.

At this point you've done what you can and it's a wait and see game :fl

Do you know for sure this is day 32? It could be a little behind also because of all the time it has been out of heat.

At this point you've done what you can and it's a wait and see game
fl.gif
Yes it would be at least day 32.

================
UPDATE:

Bad news. It stopped making breathing noise half an hour ago. I checked on it and it was dead :(

It was fully formed, yoke almost fully absorbed, eye half open. Its head was above left wing, right side of head against the air sac -- and of course its beak was not facing the air sac at all thus unable to pip... The baby looked too big for the egg. Like.... Swollen?? If so humidity was the issue after all.

Oh well.... No miracles today. Gutted!!!!
he.gif
My other three normal sized eggs are in lockdown today, hope they have better luck.

Last edited:
Sorry about your loss. Im going to subscribe, I want to see the outcome of the three other eggs! I've never hatched geese before. Good luck
smile.png

It was expected that this egg might not make it. SO CLOSE THOUGH!!!
barnie.gif

Two of the three have started to grow the air sac significantly, one of them looks a day or two behind the others for some reason (must've stayed in a cold spot for a while??). Today is day-26. My experienced goose usually have them out by day-30. I have the humidity up at 60-65%, temperature stays at 37.5C -- because some naughty mallard laid an egg at my door step and instead of going for the frying pan I stick it in my incubator, and it is fertile... A very merry and bouncy little embryo -- just to have an average condition for all.

Fingers crossed I get at least two healthy goslings!
fl.gif

DAY-27

Egg 1&2: Air sacs are good size, stayed pretty much the same as yesterday. Shadows starting to grow in the air sac and I can see lots of movements when candling. No internal pip yet.

Egg 3: it still looks like day-25 to me. It was wiggling though. I expect it to be a day or two late.

DAY-28

Egg1: The air sac is getting even bigger! Some rocking, little movements along the air sac, not a lot of shadows. I am a little worried that this will end up same as the very first egg.

Egg2: A very still egg, not much rocking. Upon candling I could see lots of activities in the air sac. The beak was pushing the membrane when I candled briefly. Not yet internally pipped (but soon!!)

Egg3: The air sac has grown slightly bigger. This egg rocks a lot. Still expecting it to be about two days late.

Humidity 60%-70% /Temperature 37.0-37.5C << It's always harder to stablise when there are condensation everywhere. As water evaporates out of the bator, temperature gradually shoots up. I try my best.

DAY-29

Egg 1 & 2 both internally pipped
wee.gif

Egg 3 is still growing that air sac.
fl.gif

========================

UPDATE:

Egg 2 has externally pipped.

Humidity is stable at 65%. Temp 37C.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom