Goose Egg Disaster-hoping for a happy ending

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sylvangirl, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Sylvangirl

Sylvangirl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Snowflake, AZ
    Hey there!

I will start off saying I am in NO WAY experienced at incubating anything. I had a bonded pair of geese, Joker is our embden male and Darling was a toulouse. She managed to lay 13 eggs but had not started sitting when a coyote killed her. I had to find an incubator and learn as much as I could quickly. So far, we have been incubating at about 102.5 and on day 25 we had our 1st internal pip and day 26 we had two more internally pipped. I dropped the temp to 101 (or so I thought) and put in wet paper towels and filled all the grooves in the incubator w/ water. Next morning I see that I must have turned it up! :eek:( It was about 106 degrees in there and I think I cooked my poor goslings. :eek:( So day 27 was crazy, the humidity and temp were all over the place and me acting like a crazy person trying to help and making it worse. So today is day 28, I know for sure the baby that started to pip on the 25th day is dead. I have a bad feeling 1 of the other babies that started to pip on day 26 is dead but not sure. 1 egg from the 3 that were pipping is still going. I drilled a hole for it to breath but it looks like the membrane is not through yet. I tried to make a tiny hole in it but as soon as I saw blood I stopped it and put it back. The egg is moving and it is peeping. I have no idea what that actual humidity in there is but is humid feeling but no condensation anywhere. Of the remaining eggs, there are 3 that still show no movement but have vessels I can see, if that means anything. Honestly, if I can just save even one of her eggs I would be grateful. So now you know the sorted details, I could use any tips or encouragement. It is so hard to not try to help when I hear it peeping at me. :eek:(

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Be patient but keep a close eye on the temp. Hatching creates heat itself which can cause the incubator to get too warm. If you haven't yet carefully poke air holes in all the egg's. Be fast but careful.
    Aprille

3. Sylvangirl

Sylvangirl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Snowflake, AZ
    Thanks! I have been very careful about the temp today (as opposed to yesterday) it has been around 100. We have been watching and waiting for it. Everytime we talk to it, it will peep at us so I know it is still alive. For the other eggs, can they still be alive if they have the vessels showing but show no movement? This is really nerve wracking, how do you do it!?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by