1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Goose egg in incubator starting to hatch wrong end of egg.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by boell, May 29, 2010.

1. boell

boell In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    What do I do? What do I look for? Today is the 29th day or the 30th it is early morn. I have been checking it and I could see the air pocket. But, no pip. I picked it up and could hear it pecking. It had pecked a hole in the small end of the egg on the side of the egg on the underside. I have never heard of this. Could someone help me with this please?

Thank you for your time'
    Dorothy

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It happens when they dont turn correctly..It is often a problem when the eggs are a bit dry too. It doesnt mean it wont hatch..just keep a close eye on it though..and it may need some assitance as it wont have the room to turn and unzip like it would have had at the right end of the egg. I sometimes peel off a little shell to give them more room..But you have to be careful not to break the membrane or cause any bleeding.

3. boell

boell In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Thank you for the advise. This is my first time with geese. I have a 3 day old goose running around my feet now. It had a real hard time hatching. The mother goose has laid eggs before, but never sat on them. This is another strange thing, she is sharing a nest with a duck. They have their nest in the shed. The duck has been laying eggs for a while now. I took 22 eggs from her and hatched 11 of them 3 weeks ago and she is still laying, I don't know why the goose joined in. My dog (Min-Pin) started bringing her eggs to me. So why not put them in the incubator.

The baby had a big hole in the egg, I just didn't see it, because it was on the other side of the egg. It is still alive, no peeps but it is breathing.

Thanks for putting up with me

Dorothy
    Sapulpa, OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by