1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose egg racks for turner

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cowgirl71, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Wanting to buy goose egg racks for GQF turner. Buying them brand new is too expensive. If anyone has some used - but in good condition - goose egg racks at a reasonable price please let me know. Thank you, and have a great day! [​IMG]

2. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    cowgirl 71, let me tell you, (laughing), have you seen the GQF goose turner? I bought one, I have 5 breeds of geese, don't waste your time or money, you can make it yourself, it is a chicken egg turner with a piece of the screen like they use in the bottom of the hovabator, and they cut it the lenght of the egg cup holder, creased it on two sides and screwed it with 3 short screws standing up open top like a, let me think to give you a example a carton of cigarette, the top straight down tore off and the ends, yeah, and screwed it onto the regular chicken egg turner, I took the screws out of mine and chunked them over in my chicken crap, and haven't used them but one time, but I use that standard egg turner. My email is [email protected], I have a Sprortsman with that rotates or turns side to side rocker arms, but I put my goose eggs, when the Sportsmans off in a regular egg turner, the key I have found to goose eggs, put you a turner on the kitchen table and with duck and goose eggs, spritz's them with tepid water 3 times aday and let them turn until you get a turner full, now I put a egg, skip a cup/hole, so forth.

3. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    *EDITED* cause im a dummy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Sorry, I should of said GQF Hovabator. A 1588 and a 2362N.

Thanks SO much for the great idea Ms. Zeagler! I do feel rather stupid now though... I guess I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at GQF's picture. Now that you mention it, I see that all they did was screw a piece of mesh to a chicken rack, and then quadruple the price. [​IMG]

But anyway, I do have a few small pieces of hardware cloth left over from previous projects, so this could work out perfectly! It looks simple enough, I bet I could have them done in an hour! [​IMG]

5. linda_zeagler31002

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to bed, and I tossed and I turned I sit up and said what could I have done to made that person that mad just from trying to help her, so I have got up and scanned this and got out the camera, I would like to sell you this goose egg turner I haven't even used but to sit on my table and turn eggs in it, how about $40 and I would like to sell you some GQF brooders they still have the plastic protective sheild on the side windows and I do have 5 hovabators 2 wafer ones circulated fans and 3 genisis with circulated air flow fans, oh and a Sportsman Cabinit custom made to my wants, but I think I will hold on to them and the 5 turners I have, I am going back to bed again, but I wish you a blessed day, and if you ever need anything, anything at all....................[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110640215126&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

[​IMG]

6. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    [​IMG]

This is the GQF i was talking about. Sorry if I offended anyone with my post.
    When someone says GQF I automaticly think the bigger units and forget all about the hovabator.

I know it may be hard to see, but in this unit the eggs are loaded on their sides and held with springs or a device like linda has made. The racks in this bator do NOT move, rather the 2 trays on each rack are rotated via chain in the back of the bator.

[​IMG]

See how they are turned?

These are the racks i thought you meant, and they are around 100 each.

7. linda_zeagler31002

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    I have the 1502 Sportsman, hang on let me go take a picture, brb.......... Darn this morning crowd attacked me and then wouldn't come out the darn utility building, next thing I knew my darn bantam crele hen was lighting on my head, lord, okay here is mine:

[​IMG]

The trays that hold the eggs they rotate from side to side, in mine, I try to collect enough eggs for 10-15 days to fill it up or at least fill one tray up and mark it on what ever day I load that tray, but I was having problems with eggs rolling and breaking if it is not a full tray so I bought these they sell them on ebay, but I bought mine from FarmTek they sent me a random catalog and have great prices, the yellow one is for large eggs, and the blue one for small, and you can turn them over or I do and use the other side for quail or pheasant eggs, but also if you don't have extra turners to keep eggs turned twice a day while collecting them, you can lay a empty yellow on the yellow one with the collecting eggs and flip easy, they are a flexible material, and wash easily, I sit them in my 1502 trays easily, there well vented for air flow to the eggs:

[​IMG]

the only thing I wish I had got and didn't, but plan to order it before spring is the water bucket reserve system, because that dang little pan in the top that holds water, well that thing stays empty more than full, (laughing), and you are steadily opening and closing the door during hatch which causes me temp fluctuation and low hatch rates if the weather is hot.

And thank you for the apology it does make me feel better, because I have never on BYC tried to give help from my personel gained or failed experiences, and I am 42 yrs old and been hatching since I was 12 yrs old with my hovabator my dad got me for Christmas on our farm, and offended anyone, so again thank you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    hey no prob, we all make mistakes.

i also use those trays along with some that i sell.

9. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thanks for the great pic of the goose egg racks Ms. Zeagler! It'll help me a bunch! On the right side of the pic, is that by chance a red Incu-Brite Cool Light Egg Candler? I have the common Cool-Lite Egg Tester, but am thinking about getting the Incu-Brite candler because Incubator Warehouse claims it works much better, and it's battery powered so I can use it with broody hens down at the barn. If that's what it is, how do you like yours?
    You have a Sportsman!? [​IMG]

Thanks very much for the offer of the egg turner with goose racks, but I'll have to say no. The goose racks look pretty simple to make, and I have no need for another turner. But thank you. [​IMG]

10. linda_zeagler31002

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    Let me see first a England call breeder taught me through email and youtube about candling, and there is so much dang literature on crap out there to read who really know's if any has actually been researched or studied, he suggested that candler to me and it plugs up where my incubator is set up so you don't have to pick up and touch the egg, people take things for granted and some are just know it alls, but the truth of the matter as a 20 yr nurse, and research, that embryo developing in that egg shell breathes through that egg shell, there are microscopic air holes you can't see, but if you took a egg and put under a high power microscope, you can see them, I have saw them, I took a egg with me to the hospital and researched this, it is true, so if you are handling that egg candling it first you can clog up the air flow to the embryo with skin cells we shed every few minutes the naked eye don't see, sluffing, next it does not take but a little and I am talking tiny ajar or turning or movement of that egg to break that chick inside a loose from the yolk sac, again that I have lived and learned with dead embryo's in the shells, next that particular candler I have that plugs into power is a cool lite, the reason he recommended it was to prevent over and heat shock to a egg. I don't mess with the eggs under my chickens, because every dang time I tried that, well they come off the eggs, so I just let them eggs be. But no that red thing in the picture is my mr. buddy, (laughing) my algebra eraser, I was doing home work and slid it over take that quick picture, I use about 4 Mr. buddy a week, (laughing), I am working on my BSN degree, when our last son graduated college I returned to run up so more student loans (laughing), I am going to have to google this candler though and may try it to see if it is better that my cool light, but I really have enjoyed my cool light, I can see great inside the egg in the incubator in the turner with out having to even touch my eggs. I am glad the pictures helped you with your project, yep that is a sportsman, I am attempting to research the dicky, I may try it this spring and compare and V.S it to the sportsman. [​IMG] people say I do the darnest things, I am a routine fanatic on BYC call duck forum at
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5566167#p5566167 oh and not only the sportsman, but 2 hovabator wafer fan circulated, 2 hovabator genisis fan circulated a still air little giant, and a prototype with a hollow tv, okay take it easy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by