Goose eggs delivered! Now what

RacheleMarie

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2018
Hunterdon County NJ
just got my geese eggs ! They were shipped from Louisiana to New Jersey! How many hours do they have to sit still before putting them in my incubator ? Some say 8 hours some say 12 hours ?
Incubator is all set - 100 degrees and 56% humidity ( I have 4 Guinea Fowl eggs in there )

It's best to let shipped eggs rest for 24 hours before setting them. Since you already have eggs going, do you have a second incubator to move them into when they are ready to hatch?

Additionally I would suggest weighing the goose eggs to track moisture loss, especially with them being shipped. So take weights on them before putting them into the incubator so that you can make sure they are losing the appropriate amount of moisture each week.

Hello! I was planning on putting the geese eggs in with the guinea fowl eggs. I don't have a second incubator( 2nd one broke) - once hatched I was planning on putting them in an indoor pen with a heat lamp. I have hatched chickens and ducks before successfully.

Okay, I just ask because if the guineas are already started, they are going to be hatching before the geese are, so handling lockdown for the guinea eggs will be tricky, because you would have to be trying to keep the humidity for them and not turn them while also still opening the incubator to turn the goose eggs.

Okay, I just ask because if the guineas are already started, they are going to be hatching before the geese are, so handling lockdown for the guinea eggs will be tricky, because you would have to be trying to keep the humidity for them and not turn them while also still opening the incubator to turn the goose eggs.

I wouldn't worry too much about lock down on the guinea eggs. I hatched thousands of them, and I lost count of the number of them that hatched with the turner running..
all that you have to be concerned with is that you get them out before the turner lands on one..
I am referring to a cabinet style turner.
it doesn't go slow like the styrofoam bator turners do.
there will be plenty of time between the guinea pips and the goose pips..
if you did duck and chickens, this will be very similar..
I would give the eggs a day to settle.
make sure the large end is up.
the air sac might be jostled.
besides just having the air sac up, I would sort of tilt each egg about 45 degrees in your hand and give it about a half of a turn. you want to make the air bubbles collect if they are separated.. you don't have to candle them, just assume that they are jostled.. It won't hurt the non jostled eggs to be handled in this way..
and if you don't feel like doing this, no biggie.. just the rocking motion of the turner will do the same thing..

Back
Top Bottom