Goose eggs how hard are they to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickiebabyfluff, May 18, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    I would like to hatch some goose eggs are they more difficult then a chicken egg? And what type of Goose do you recommend i have a small flock on about 2 1/2 acres of land do they require a pond? thanks

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Definately not as easy as hatching chickens. Our first try at geese eggs was under a broody & we had 1 gosling to hatch out of 3 eggs (but they were shipped). I just loaded some goose eggs in the incubator tonight, but they were incubated under a broody goose for a little while.

We have a Pilgrim gosling, added several adult Toulouse today, & in the past we had White Chinese. Out of the three, I like the Pilgrim breed the best. They're supposed to be calmer & quieter & they're an auto-sexing breed. There's a cool little breed comparison table on Metzer Farms here: http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=326005

They
    don't need a pond, but they do better if they have clean water that they're able to get in. That can be anything from a large plastic storage pan, a kiddie pool, or a pond. We do have a pond that's about 1 1/2 acres, but we also have a couple of small pools & storage pans for the ducks to use. The geese that we bought today are in a quarantine pen right now & they have a kiddie pool in their pen to play in. And they've had a blast in it all day [​IMG]

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    ty ty for the info!!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    You're very welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by