GOOSE EGGS - how many is normal to lay

sammark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
NEWCASTLE. ENGLAND
My Embden goose has laid 49 eggs since she started her first lay in feb this year, I read that the best laying breed 'chinese' only lay up to 45 and if they lay more it can be dangerous due to the calcium it takes out of them to produce eggs. Should I be worried about her and if so how could I prevent her laying more, thanks!

Hi Lydia/ Flockman yeah I took a pic of the double yolker, I will upload it - was huge. The goose that laid it & (laid the 49 total) is an Embden and she is only a year old like Missy, we named her Jemima. I'm amazed at how well she's done, she's finished laying now so a well deserved rest will come her way.:) I'm not expecting her to lay more this year but only time will tell if she does.
Really sorry to hear about you losing your goose to a laying problem so upsetting I hope your goslings and the Embden are keeping you busy, I have just ordered some toulouse goslings (girls) but they dont come til next week so I would have left the shop with them too haha.
This is the double yolker compared to one of her normal sized eggs, I'm so glad I didn't see her lay it!

My Embden goose has laid 49 eggs since she started her first lay in feb this year, I read that the best laying breed 'chinese' only lay up to 45 and if they lay more it can be dangerous due to the calcium it takes out of them to produce eggs. Should I be worried about her and if so how could I prevent her laying more, thanks!
I haven't heard this before, but my Toulouse has laid 40 so far and I think she is through. Are you giving her extra calcium in the form of kale, oyster shell and egg shells,?

Hi Miss Lydia, yeah I was giving her mixed grit with oyster shell & calcium. I think she has stopped laying now cos she usually lays every other day & I haven't seen an egg for 3 days. My Husbands dad used to work as a farmer & he said he's never seen as many laid, I have read the best layers only go to 45 & I'm sure I haven't miscounted.

Hi Miss Lydia, yeah I was giving her mixed grit with oyster shell & calcium. I think she has stopped laying now cos she usually lays every other day & I haven't seen an egg for 3 days. My Husbands dad used to work as a farmer & he said he's never seen as many laid, I have read the best layers only go to 45 & I'm sure I haven't miscounted.
I know when Missy laid the soft shelled egg some where in the late 30's I was very concerned she took a couple days off then started again laid a wrinkled one with hard shell then laid a few more and finally quit. Whew I was relieved when some had lost their goose to laying problems already this year. Now to build them back up from it all.
smile.png
49 eggs that's amazing.

She's laid a double yolker aswell before it was absolutely huge, I'm glad I didn't see her lay it, can't even believe she got it out it was that big. I have read about people losing there goose due to laying problems absolutely devistating - fingers crossed it never happens to us.
She still hasn't laid anymore so here's hoping shes finished. Miss Lydia do your geese lay once a year? I'm sure I have read that some geese lay twice a year sometimes in the feb and september?Thanks for your posts

She's laid a double yolker aswell before it was absolutely huge, I'm glad I didn't see her lay it, can't even believe she got it out it was that big. I have read about people losing there goose due to laying problems absolutely devistating - fingers crossed it never happens to us.
She still hasn't laid anymore so here's hoping shes finished. Miss Lydia do your geese lay once a year? I'm sure I have read that some geese lay twice a year sometimes in the feb and september?Thanks for your posts
Missy is just a year old this month so I don't know if she'll lay again this year. I seen other say the same about their geese though laying in fall again. I cannot imagine finding a double yolker in a goose egg my goodness did you take a pic? That had to have hurt. I have chickens and ducks too and have never agonized over their egg laying like I did Missy. I'm glad it's over. I hope your girl is through too so she can get built back up and enjoy the summer.

The numbers you read on line are usually the average. 49 is quite a few from your goose. Congrats. The number of eggs laid can have a lot to do with their nutrition, genetics and environment. If a goose is stressed and receives poor nutrition she won't lay very many eggs. Some Chinese geese used to lay up to 60 -100 eggs. Since the focus has changed from egg production to appearance very few lay 60. Some geese do lay a few eggs in the fall. It is usually not as many, and it varies from goose to goose. I had read that usually it is just Chinese geese that lay in the fall. I do remember quite a few people having lots of different breeds laying last year. With summer on it's way she should be rested up and replenished for next year. I did lose my goose to a laying problem. It was with her second egg. My gander has since adopted the 2 gosling girls I bought to replace his mate. I hope he will adopt a few more as I am getting an embden from a friend and I went to Rural king for feed and left with 3 Toulouse goslings as well.

Hi Lydia/ Flockman yeah I took a pic of the double yolker, I will upload it - was huge. The goose that laid it & (laid the 49 total) is an Embden and she is only a year old like Missy, we named her Jemima. I'm amazed at how well she's done, she's finished laying now so a well deserved rest will come her way.:) I'm not expecting her to lay more this year but only time will tell if she does.
Really sorry to hear about you losing your goose to a laying problem so upsetting I hope your goslings and the Embden are keeping you busy, I have just ordered some toulouse goslings (girls) but they dont come til next week so I would have left the shop with them too haha.
This is the double yolker compared to one of her normal sized eggs, I'm so glad I didn't see her lay it!
My word that is a huge egg, and so jealous of ya'll getting goslings, I am getting a goose house built in the fall so hopefully next year here. I have to settle for a few[4] Muscovy ducklings this year. My duck wouldn't take no for an answer. Please post pics of your babies when they come. I saw yours flockman they are so cute there with Boris and your older goslings. It's amazing how fast they grow,.

Back
Top Bottom