Goose Eggs in the turner...Opinions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Bunnyanchicken Lady, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bunnyanchicken Lady

Bunnyanchicken Lady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Appomattox County, VA
    Have anyone had success with using the turner for goose eggs in this manner?

[​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Most goose eggs are too big to set in a turner that way, they are too close to the heating element.

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    hi there

Im not sure what incubator/turner you are using but the goose eggs look a little precarious, as from the picture they only seem to be secured by a small area of yellow plastic collar. DO they turn gently and remain secure?

I have incubated goose eggs set vertically but do prefer to incubate them on their sides. I set them vertically when I received some by post and candling showed the air cells had ruptured and there was free air bubbles within the egg. Approx 50% were sucessful but I put the poor hatch rate down to rough handling in transit.

Best of luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Good to know you can set them vertically, I thought they had to be on their sides. Is your incubator GQF or LG?

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I always lay them on their sides. I know that there are turners for goose eggs but I prefer not to use them. I agree with Shelley that your eggs are going to be too close to the heat element.

Laurie

6. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    They are top heavy and fill fall out as soon as the turner gets onto the side position. You will need to get goose egg rails, or convert yours. The rails they sell are nothing but some hardware cloth attached with washers and nuts to the rail itself. You can only use 3 rails in the turner if used for goose eggs. This also limits you to 3 eggs per rail. GQF sell the rails and they show 4 in their picture in the turner itself. I think they have never incubated goose eggs, because 4 rails will only fit duck eggs. BTW all waterfowl, ducks and geese, incubate best laying on their side. Quite different then chicken or quail eggs. They also need to be misted daily and require much higher humidity during lockdown.

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Unfortunately Im not familar with the makes of incubator as Im from the UK. As 'TheDucksABC' stated they seem to do better on their sides but yes they can be set vertically and still hatch. Like I said, I did it as mine had the air cells had ruptured and I wanted to keep the free air bubbles towards the blunt end until growth of embryonic membranes re=sealed the bubbles.

I would be concerned if they were very near a heat element particulary if it was a still air machine. You want them incubated not poached [​IMG]

Best of luck from UK - Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by