Goose Eggs - seeking a definitive answer

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cglem, Apr 8, 2012.

1. cglem

cglem New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    I'm new to this forum-- glad to have found it!

We're getting our farm going after a 3-1/2 year absence. (Let me tell you, it feels GREAT to be back!)

We'll be getting some tufted Roman geese. We loved our one that we had before!

We're just wondering if someone can tell us definitively-- does a goose only lay if her egg is fertile? In other words, is a goose like a duck or a chicken and will lay (in the spring, of course) whether or not her egg is fertile?

We've heard and read different things on this, but have yet to find anyone addressing this simple (to us) unknown.

Can someone kindly fill us in on this?

Thank you so much in advance!

- Cathy

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Geese will lay whether or not their eggs are fertile.

Also, most often, they will lay through the year- not just in the spring. My Embden ladies lay early winter into late summer.

I always wanted a Tufted Roman. Such beautiful birds. :)
    Good luck!

3. cglem

cglem New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks! This is what we were wondering. ;-)

That's encouraging, about possible year-round laying. I just wonder if that'll be so down here in our new home of Texas (moved here from the north). It wasn't up north-- the geese we knew only laid in the spring. Period.

- Cathy

4. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, I didn't think of that. That may just be the case. It makes sense though, since the warmer seasons are shorter up north than they are down here. I guess you'll find out, once your goose/geese start laying! :)

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My goose laid eggs last year from January to June. Then she took a break and started laying again in late September through early December. Those eggs were giant. And this year she started January 3rd and is still laying. Her eggs are not fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by