Goose eggs set under broodies-Update & Pictures

Discussion in 'Geese' started by corancher, Mar 2, 2009.

1. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I put my first set of goose eggs under three broodies yesterday. The Giant Dewlap Africans are now laying daily, Blue Sebastopol has layed a couple of eggs. Put a total of 12 eggs under three big broody Orpington hens and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I got my first American Lavendar egg yesterday. Thankfully I had to forsight to separate the geese several weeks ago so all should be pure. The crazy weather has the geese laying a month before I thought they would.

Please send good hatching vibes. I will be trying to hatch a few in the incubator but to tell the truth I was a complete failure last year at my incubation attempts. I have done a lot of reading so I hope I will have better luck this year.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    wow 12!!?!??! does she fit on all of them? after about 5 days of her setting on them candle her goose eggs and take all the inertile ones away to lighten her load! i would love to see pics of her and your geese... and as far incubating goes, what kinda incubator do use... did u have the temps at 99.5 for forced air or 101.0 for still air? were they bieng turned an odd number of times a day? did u have a hygrometer, the proper humidity shoud be 65% utill day 26 then put it up to 85% till they hatch... were you misting them? were you taking them out for 15 minutes a day for a cooldown?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am wondering how you are going to keep the high humidity and misting the eggs daily and the cool down period?

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    You have a blue female Seb? Some of us with colored Sebs are trying to figure out their genetics. Do you know what color her parents were? Good luck with your broodies!

5. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:someone here said that they incubated geese the same as chickens and they hatched...

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i put muscovy eggs under a large broody and they did fine without any intervention, i'm not sure if duck eggs need less humidity than goose eggs, good luck:D

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    When I was a kid, my Aunt hatched out goose eggs under her Japanese Bantam Hen. That was amazing. Big geese following around a little Japanese Bantam Hen. I think she only incubated 2 at a time, if I remember correctly.

8. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Dr. Chris Ashton of Great Britain swears by broodies, and devoted a few pages of her book to explain why she does. Apparently there's enough humidity under a chicken to work. She suggests no more than 3 per chicken
    as corancher is doing. Hens get off their eggs for short periods I would guess. I don't own broody breeds, darn it!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    The only goose egg that hatched last year was under a broody hen which was shipped seb egg from peeps&pips. I had two geese sitting and something either our dog or escaped pig got both nest of eggs.

The problem with the geese eggs under a hen was the eggs are so big that they have a hard time turning the eggs. I removed the hen once a day from the nest so she could eat, drink, and releave herself and turned the eggs for her. Did not have to mist the eggs at all.

Now just so I am clear. I have three hens sitting on four goose eggs each. These are nice big Orp hens so they don't have a problem covering the eggs.

My blue seb pair was purchased as an adult pair from Holderread's. I don't know how the blue was developed. Most of my geese are from Holderread's. This is only my second year with adult geese. Some of the geese I got three years ago as goslings. Geese are a learning project for me.

I will keep you posted on how this goes.

10. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:oops i read wrong i thought u said that u had 12 under one hen which would be impossible lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by