Goose eggs with no air pocket

May 10, 2021
Hi, I have some goose eggs in my incubator, they are on day thirty, and one of them has no air pocket!:hmm It isn't rotten; it doesn't smell funny and last I candled it it was healthy looking. Has anyone had this problem or know what it is? I put a pic of the egg and one of a normal one down below.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 34
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 11
So, I waited a few days and I still couldn't see anything when I candled the egg, It was past the hatch date, and there were no signs of pipping. Today the incubator started to smell funny inside, so I assumed the gosling had died. I opened up the egg, and the gosling was super crowded and not alive. The air pocket was deflated looking, and the gosling had internally pipped. I guess it just couldn't make it through the shell, and suffocated. It also looked a bit to big. I didn't know anything about "safety holes" yet, I've just hatched a bunch of duckling and chicks, this is my first time doing goslings. One of the other eggs is internally pipping now, and I put a safety hole in that one. Hopefully the rest of the goslings make it out alright!

À safety hole is basically externally pipping for the gosling. If you're goïng to do it first make an examination of the egg to make sure the gosling didn't pip in the wrong place,. If it did enlarge the hole a bit. If it didn't open a hole into the aircell -- an air hole, not an escape route. Candle the egg befor you make the hole so you know where the air cell is.

Edit: and unless you have a compelling reason I wouldn't do it before day 32.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom