Goose Emergency! Possible Egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kevin565, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) A young Embden Goose

2) What is the behavior, exactly? She can't walk for the past two days and this morning had a prolapsed vent

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About 4 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?NO

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma No bleeding or sign of trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?I have no clue what could have caused it

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Forage and layer feed and drinking water with electrolytes

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Her poop is runny now

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? She has been separated from the others and given electrolytes

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need
    help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I can fix the vent but no don't completely no how to because I have never had this issue before. I know honey can be used so directions would be very beneficial

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She is currently in a excercise pen with hay

If you have any suggestions on curing her or any ideas on what this would be any input is greatly appreciated.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I'd love to help, but I'm not sure if this will help or not, but is it a full blown prolapse? Like internals coming out? My hen had a prolapse (not a goose, I can imagine it's hard) and my mother tried a surgical procedure by putting the ovary (whatever part is out) back in the correct position. It couldn't work because the nerves were attatched and she didn't want to hurt her.

If it's a very special goose @ the vets the'll put it in for a whopping price, but if shes like major shower, or first girl, well your choice. We had to put mine down considering the issue.

3. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the help but she's back to normal now [​IMG]

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Oh! good, good!!! [​IMG] Phew.

5. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes she's still recovering but has a promising future [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I just saw this thread and am so very happy for you that your goose is O.K. now! I was looking for you a couple of weeks ago as I had a chicken with a vent prolapse... wanted some advice but hey ho..... Tell me please if you had any special method for helping your goose.... i.e. treatment - honewy - prep-h. I want and need to learn in case I am faced with the same issue here!

Congratulations on treating your goose! Trust she keeps improving for you ( and for herself of course)

Suzie

7. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you [​IMG]. Actually the biggest help was a hour long warm bath soak in addition with a few treatments of Prep H.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Hey. thanks for the response Kevin - I LOVE your Avatar too...is this a wolf/dog? Amazing picture!

9. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    It's no problem and thank you [​IMG]. Yes that's my Sasha. She's a high content Wolf Dog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by