Goose EMERGENCY!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gerbil, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    One of our geese is can not walk straight, like its drunk. She has no balance and she is shaking. The other three geese are fine, I think she either had a stroke or ate something poisonous. Our geese free range, except at night, we lock them up. She can eat when she lays down but, she still shakes.

Thanks, Hannah [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I would guess she nipped something she shouldn't have. When you say off balance, do you mean weaving around or do you mean it's more like part of her body has fallen asleep (like when your leg falls asleep and it's hard to walk). The former suggests toxin, the latter suggests stroke or seizure.

Here is a good list of various plants that are poisonous to 'poultry'. I'm not sure if all of them apply to geese, but if they're on your property, one of them may be the culprit.
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxic1.html

EDIT: and if you don't know what each plant looks like, google image search can probably tell you, if you suspect one.

3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    How is she doing this am? I would post this under the Geese subject as well and maybe someone with more experience can help. Hope she is better!

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Her legs go everywhere but, she can't keep them under her! Now she is not eating.

Help! [​IMG]

5. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well you can't expect her to eat continuously for half an hour. It sounds sort of like she is having a mild seizure, but without video of what's going on and no history provided about her care and environment, it's really hard to say anything.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    She has only been nibbling the past half hour maybe only two bites or so. She can stand but, not for long her legs just don't hold her. None of our geese have any medical problems, they have free range all day, mostly grass but, we have a pine forest on one side. She was fine last night when I lead them home, all they have in their house is hay and water.

Thanks, Hannah

7. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Did you check the hay for possible mold? If she got into a patch of hay that was no good, that may be the problem.

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    That is a possibility, it has been raining constantly and they eat anything. [​IMG]

9. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
  10. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I now think it has something to do with eye to brain to legs, she sees and she responds but her legs don't do the right thing.

Thanks Kendreeva.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by