1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose food

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AliciaM, May 17, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Can 5-6 week old gosslings eat chicken layer pellet?

Ive just moved my baby geese to the chicken yard since they outgrew there brooder pen. The chickens took to them great and they follow the chickens all around learning the ropes. The chickens have layer pellets and calcium out at all times. Is it ok if the geese eat layer pellets?
    When I put them up at night, the geese are going into a seperate small pen, but during the day will be free ranging.. Im debating on letting them spend the night in the chicken coop with the rest of the flock..
    THe flock consists of about 12 adult hens, 1 rooster, 6 young silkies and 8 pullets around 3 months old. The coop/shed is plenty big enough for all with room to spare.. Oh, and let me not forget the 5 call ducks.. but there not allowed to free range until I clip wings..

Anyway.. about the layer pellets?

Thanks.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    As long as its not medicated started food, chicken food is ok at least short term. Long term they need a little more protein -- chicken layer is usually 16%, the goose and duck grower/maintenance pellets sold here are 18%. But more importantly, waterfowl need more niacin -- once again, short term, a week or two, certainly won't hurt them. If I run out of somebody's food, I just use someone else's until I can get to the feed store. And, I think my older hens are laying better on turkey grower 22% protein with free access to oyster shell than they did on the 16% layer pellets.

3. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Quote:Where are you folks getting the niacin? Does it come in the feed or are you buying a separate product?

4. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:Where are you folks getting the niacin? Does it come in the feed or are you buying a separate product?

Both.

I feed Purina Flock Raiser which has niacin in it, but I add a variety of fresh grass and greens every day.
    Balbinka also gets scratch grains and fruit.

Something more typical for one to add, however, is brewers yeast (its incredibly high in niacin) if you cannot offer your geese a lot of variety.

5. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    They like grass, grass, grass, grass, grass, ..... and Styrofoam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by