Goose/Geese Questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rare Feathers Farm, May 29, 2008.

1. Okay...so all SEVEN of the Sebastopol eggs I attempted to hatch didn't. Some were clear, one developed for about two weeks then died. The others looked good, but when I cracked them open, they were rotten, smelly & showed no signs of ever developing!?

Anyway, I'm not ready to completely give up on getting my hands on some geese....

So I had some questions....

I've heard that Chinese can be nasty & I don't want that.

Most specifically, I'd like BIG, NICE geese that can withstand cold temps & eat grass/weeds and are somewhat rare....I don't want a ton of them (maybe just a trio--one male & two females)....

So my other question is--what do you feed your geese during the winter months when there's no vegetation? We get 4+ feet of snow from about November 1st through April....

Okay....so Pros/cons of different breeds? Rare breed types? I don't want anything too common, but on the other hand, I would like something that's not too hard to hatch. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2008
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    my geese get layer pellets,cracked corn,lettuce and bread . They some times eat the hay that is on the floor .

3. Ohh...really? We have lots of spilled hay, as well.....usually, we rake it up & burn it....

What kind of geese do you have?

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have 2 chinnese , 1 ebden,2 toulous,2 canadians and a sebastopal

5. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Pilgrims.

6. Quote:Do yours all run together?

7. Quote:Pilgrims, huh? I'll have to google those....

Thanks!

8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    yeah all my run together for now . I want to make seperate pens for all of them but need to get a few more geese first

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    I don't know where in WA you are exactly (and you don't have to say) but have you tried Holderread's
    http://www.holderreadfarm.com/index.htm

They are in Corvallis and it really doesn't need to be said that they have the best birds, though you will pay a best price for them. And you can arrange pick up if you are close enough for the drive.

10. I'm in Okanogan. Which is about 10 hours from Corvallis. I have two sisters & an uncle that live in Eugene & my parents live in Portland....

I think I'll save up & buy some sebbies from them next spring....get a trio or something. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: