Goose/Geese Questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rare Feathers Farm, May 29, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Okay...so all SEVEN of the Sebastopol eggs I attempted to hatch didn't. Some were clear, one developed for about two weeks then died. The others looked good, but when I cracked them open, they were rotten, smelly & showed no signs of ever developing!?

Anyway, I'm not ready to completely give up on getting my hands on some geese....

So I had some questions....

I've heard that Chinese can be nasty & I don't want that.

Most specifically, I'd like BIG, NICE geese that can withstand cold temps & eat grass/weeds and are somewhat rare....I don't want a ton of them (maybe just a trio--one male & two females)....

So my other question is--what do you feed your geese during the winter months when there's no vegetation? We get 4+ feet of snow from about November 1st through April....

Okay....so Pros/cons of different breeds? Rare breed types? I don't want anything too common, but on the other hand, I would like something that's not too hard to hatch. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2008
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    my geese get layer pellets,cracked corn,lettuce and bread . They some times eat the hay that is on the floor .

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Ohh...really? We have lots of spilled hay, as well.....usually, we rake it up & burn it....

What kind of geese do you have?

4. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have 2 chinnese , 1 ebden,2 toulous,2 canadians and a sebastopal

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Pilgrims.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Do yours all run together?

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Pilgrims, huh? I'll have to google those....

Thanks!

8. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    yeah all my run together for now . I want to make seperate pens for all of them but need to get a few more geese first

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I don't know where in WA you are exactly (and you don't have to say) but have you tried Holderread's
    http://www.holderreadfarm.com/index.htm

They are in Corvallis and it really doesn't need to be said that they have the best birds, though you will pay a best price for them. And you can arrange pick up if you are close enough for the drive.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

I'm in Okanogan. Which is about 10 hours from Corvallis. I have two sisters & an uncle that live in Eugene & my parents live in Portland....

I think I'll save up & buy some sebbies from them next spring....get a trio or something. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by