Goose Gender/Goose Eggs

Sheepy

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
I have 3 White Embden geese that I got from a straight run tub in Orschelns. Last month I got 9 goose eggs. I left the eggs in the house, since the bigger goose was NOT gonna let me get near them.
I'm wondering how you can tell which ones are male and which are female.
The geese burried their eggs under all the straw, and I don't think they've been sitting on them, so I'm sure they aren't gonna hatch. Do these types of geese ever sit on eggs? And how long do they take to hatch?
Thanks!

The large one that won't let you near the eggs is likely the male. They won't go broody until they feel they have enough eggs. They cover them to keep them warm. They take 28-30 days to hatch once the goose starts setting all the time.

The eggs have been in the nest for over a month. The geese haven't been sitting on them (that I've noticed), would it be safe to take them out?

I have a question, I have 3 Embden geese, a gander and two geese, they're thinking about setting on the eggs they lay but I don't want any more Embdens. I want to get a couple of Sebastopol goslings, (can't find aduts anywhere), can I put the babies with my adults? will the adults adopt them and raise them like chickens do, or do I have to raise them and introduce them later? Goslings go up for sale next week, can anyone help with this question? I don't want the babies hurt by the adults.

Thanks.

They should adopt them, especially your gander. But I would let them hatch their own eggs as well and sell their babies, at least that would get them to stop laying.

That's good news, thanks! I get so attached so fast that I doubt I'd be able to sell any babies they hatched and I'd end up with more geese than I could handle. I would be really fun to see babies cruising around every year though, maybe I can develop some boundaries.

Last edited:
I usually 'give' my bator babies to the geese when they are about 2 weeks old and they do fine with them. Geese are pretty smart birds
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom