Goose Gurus HELP!!! My goose looks like he is seriously ill/dying!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bufforp89, Dec 31, 2010.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    So my brown chinese goose Charlie (2 years old) is in my tub as I type this and there is something seriously wrong. He is completely listless and droopy. He let me pick him up a few mins ago when I put everyone away for the evening, totally not his normal self, I havnt picked him up since he was a gosling. He has not been running around, sits all day sleeping, and has not eaten in 2 days that I have seen. He seems super light like he has lost alot of weight but Im not sure as I didnt pick him up much previously. His crop is empty and there seems to be crusty dry discharge around his eyes. I have him in the tub in lukewarm water with lettuce floating to encourage him to eat. He has not eaten any or drank any water since I brought him in 15-20 mins ago although I have seen him drink several times today.......Ideas anyone? Suggestions? Im planning on keeping him in the house tonight so I can watch him. Help! Im freaking out here! I can get pics if need be.................

Also just saw him sneeze once.........

2. bufforp89

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    now he looks like he is trying to go to sleep. I guess I am going to take him out of the tub and make him comfortable for the night. Will check back later and hopefully someone has some answers for me!!! [​IMG]

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Poor thing.

The basics of any bird rescue, especially if you don't know what the problem is, are:

Warmth -- keep the bird very warm, close to body temperature. 95 degrees would be ideal. This helps them by putting less metabolic stress on them.

Electrolyte solution -- Pedialyte is good, or gatorade. Or, make your own by disolving a tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a quart of lukewarm water. If the bird won't drink, try to get at least a little down its throat with a syringe barrel, turkey baster, or similar, but don't drown it.

Antibiotics. Tylan is good. Tetracycline and Amoxycillin are a good combination because that blend would knock out most bacterial infections.

Food - if it will eat, something high in protein and mild is good, like boiled mashed eggs mixed with cottage cheese and rice, with a little vegetable oil drizzled over it to up the calorie count. Even its regular diet moistened to a paste or slurry would work. You can try force feeding if the bird won't eat.

Quiet rest. Try to not disturb the bird any more than necessary, especially if it's not tame and used to being handled.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you post on the goose thread also?

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    aw, good luck!

6. bufforp89

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    he died

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for your loss, sometimes these things happen and we never know why [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss, you may never know what he died from, but I hope you know we all understand how you feel.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by