Goose Happy Without a Gander?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kangasox, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    We have 2 Toulouse geese, which we think are a male and female, and we've had them for 2ish months. We also have 14 ducks. All has been ok with introductions, but the presumed male has started harrassing ducks, attacking one with a hurt foot and trying to mate with a another. I've decided he has to go, but my question is will the girl be happy without him and only the ducks? She seems content to leave him and hang out in the pasture with them, but I don't know long term. I am trying to decide if it's fair to separate them, or I should try to rehome them together. Too much guilt, ha!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi @Kangasox I don't think my 2 would be happy with out the other. but they have been together over 4 yrs now. They do bond where ducks don't so much. Is there anyway to separate the 2 geese from the rest of the flock? I have to do this during the biggest part of mating season since my gander is so ornery. The rest of the year all he does is stick his head out and everyone stays clear of him.

3. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    I don't think so @Miss Lydia, at least not easily or with a good night shelter. He's so ornery already and trying to mate with ducks, I'm a little nervous for mating season! I will see about posting them on Craigslist. She is just the sweetest, but I guess it's better to let them go together.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My gander mated with my Muscovy's before I got him a goose. They didn't seem to mind.

I sure understand though it's hard to be able to separate and have good over night housing unless you can afford to build something. Thankfully we had some left over lumber from another project and my son built a second goose house for when I have to separate them.

I am sorry it hasn't worked out. Selling them both together will probably will be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by