Goose has beak problem??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cityfarmer12, Dec 10, 2016.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    So, I recently got a big mixed goose and a Chinese. They have been doing great, and I'm now totally in love with geese. About a week ago I noticed the white on had a black thing on his beak. I caught him today and realized it looked more like a wound or like it was rotting away. I feel so bad I didn't check him right away. He is acting normal, chasing the dogs and eating and drinking.

Can anyone tell me what it is and what I can do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Id keep an eye on it not sure what it is might be from transporting it i have white chinese my favs lol

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like its bean got ripped off somehow. It'll regrow, just watch for signs of infection.

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Ok, thank you. Should I put some first aid ointment or something on it to prevent an infection? I haven't transported him anywhere since I got him, but he is some clumsy it doesn't surprise me that he got injured.

Lol, Chinese are awesome. Mine is a brown Chinese, and she is quiet the character. I think she is smarter than the one that is hurt...he's always falling all over everything.

This is the Chinese, xiao
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My gander is the worse for not watching where he is going. I'd put some ACV into the drinking water it can help heal 1 Tab to 1 gal of water. My gander put a hole in his bill once and the ACV helped to heal it.

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks! I will do that. I periodically put it in the water anyway, but I will keep it in there until it is healed :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by