Goose Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dinos_rock, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    So I want to hatch some geese...[​IMG] This would be my first time hatching anything, so maybe I should try chicken eggs first to practice before I get the geese eggs? I'll be hatching in a homemade styrofoam incubator. I don't know if I can hatch any goose eggs yet, my mom said maybe depending on how expensive it is; so its not final.[​IMG] So what would the price be for about 12 (maybe less) goose hatching eggs (and where to get them)? I don't care what breed, although I prefer pilgrims. Oh, and I don't know if some breeds are friendlier than others, but I would definetly prefer nice and friendly geese to mean ones....The main reason we want them is to protect our chickens from neighborhood dogs and to keep the weeds down.

Also, I don't know anything about geese. What do they eat when they are babies and what do they eat as adults?
    Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Geese are outside of their laying season. It is pretty short, from late Feb. to the beginning of June. All of the eggs should be goslings by now or refrigerated too long to be hatcheable. You will have to wait until next year.

Geese can be difficult to hatch. You would be better off buying goslings unless you like the challenge or are only trying for a couple of geese. If you have never hatched before, google incubating, hatching, and other key words and read everything. I would then try my hand at chicken or quail eggs.

3. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    OK, Thanks. I had no idea that they have a laying season, I thought they just layed year round like chickens....[​IMG] I was wondering why every hatchery I look at have no geese available until next year. Well, I guess I'll just wait until next year because the only reason I wanted to hatch some, was because I didn't want to wait. I still want to incubate some chickens though....

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Next year you should try to hatch goose eggs. Good Luck.

What type of chicken eggs do you want to hatch?

5. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Not sure. I haven't decided yet...[​IMG] Maybe I will try some goose eggs after I incubate some chicken eggs first. Are they hard to incubate? I just don't want to spend a fortune to have a hatch fail....[​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

Chicken eggs are so easy to incubate.

Goose eggs are also easy too. You have to make sure to cool the eggs for 15 min a day, and spray them with warm water sometime during the cooling period. You do that from day 4-till they pip the shell.

7. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    OK, Thanks. Maybe I'll try it....[​IMG]

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'd like to hatch some geese next year too [​IMG] Good luck!!

9. SundownWaterfowl

What kind of goose would you want?

I breed Toulouse.

10. SundownWaterfowl

Here is a couple pictures of Toulouse geese:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]