Goose hatching question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barnwife, Apr 17, 2009.

1. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I have 3 Pilgrim Goose eggs in my incubator out of four that I received in good order. One quit on me,.

The three remaining ones are due yesterday, and have been rocking since Tuesday early morning when I saw them rocking! When I moved them to my hatcher I could feel them knocking on the shells, all three of them. Today I can still feel them knocking on their shells, too...but no rocking.

Are geese supposed to be slow as in, watching-paint-dry-on-a-arainy-day-type slow?

They have been in the hatcher for 4 days now...no pips,rocking is deacreasing each day...when should I worry/interfere?

2. ccscott24

ccscott24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    Hi,

Same thing here 2! I have ordered 4 Pilgrim geese and they were scheduled to hatched Thursday, April 16th and I candled them again Friday night and i still can see there beaks but they haven't pipped. I was wondering since the eggs are bigger that it might take them longer then 28 days on this kind of geese. My first time having Pilgrim geese so I'm not quite sure, i had other goose eggs w/them and they already hatched. i HOPE they hatch. Best the luck w/u also.

Chris

3. ccscott24

ccscott24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    Hi,

Same thing here 2! I have ordered 4 Pilgrim geese and they were scheduled to hatched Thursday, April 16th and I candled them again Friday night and i still can see there beaks but they haven't pipped. I was wondering since the eggs are bigger that it might take them longer then 28 days on this kind of geese. My first time having Pilgrim geese so I'm not quite sure, i had other goose eggs w/them and they already hatched. i HOPE they hatch. Best the luck w/u also.

Chris

4. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    WELL...so far one pipped through, and is mostly zipped!! The other two are STILL knocking around inside their shells.

One of the things with geese is that most take 30-35 days to incubate.

Mine hit the 35 day mark on Tuesday,, and have been rocking and rocking since monday...just rocking and knocking lol.

I am wondering whether or not to step in and make a small itty bitty notch/pip in the shell...goose eg shells are SO thick!

Maybesomeone out there will stumble along this thread and help....

5. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    HI! I found a GREAT answer to the hlping question...in a HUGE thread...here is the link!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=484066

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=484066

I hope this works lol.

I DID just help both my tired pippers...there was no blood on these two...the first one bloodied itself up pretty well and nearly pulled its stomach out!!!!! I have a saran-wrap diaper/sling thing keeping the stomach with a bit of pressure and paper towel to keep it moist but not wet inside the saran warp/tape bandage thingy.

The helped pippers had both already gotten through the membrane but the shell was VERY VERY VERY thick...it is 1.5 mm thick!! Thicker than a penny in width!! Talk about chipping away at concrete to get out...trapped in their little calcium jail desperately low on air....

I hope I do not have to help them zip, too, but I will if in 12 hours or so they are not zipping and I see the veins are gne from the membrane.

Three out of three! I had a fourth, but it quit in week 2. It wanted to feed my great dane, knew he could use the nutrition [​IMG]

Good luck, friends!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by