Goose help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pearsjd, Jan 8, 2009.

1. pearsjd

pearsjd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    N. Central AL
    Hello

I have a 8mo old Toulouse gander with red,very swollen rims around his eyes. He isn't acting sick and I don't see any indication of injury. We have had flooding rains for the last 2 days and the covered pen is very mucky. They are only in at night and only two sides are covered so ventilation is good. He has 3 females with him who show no sign of red eyes. They all free range with our chickens and ducks. There is small pond and a running creek that the geese frequently play in. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Susan

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I would isolate him/or all of them from the muck and give them very clean water in very clean buckets/wading pool. He might have picked up a slight infection from tainted water and only needs to flush his eyes well. You could also catch him and try flushing his eyes with sterile saline solution.

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    As I think of it, Can you lay a thick layer of bedding in the pen? I use straw.

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I second banter's reply, you can also layer material in the muddy area, and slope it so the ground stays dryer by draining. I like sand, straw, possibly gravel and then covered w/the sand and straw, etc.

5. pearsjd

pearsjd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    N. Central AL
    We cleaned the pen and layed straw down. The pen doesn't get mucky very often. We got over 6" of rain. I rinsed his head with clean water. He does seem better but I think his eyes itch. Thanks for help

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by