Goose hissed at DH...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Jun 21, 2011.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I have 3 geese, all different breeds. The top 2 big guys are the White Danish and Tufted Buff. I would have to say the White Danish is the biggest of them all! I was reading if it is a male he has potential to be 30lbs! Whoa!

Anyway they geese are always very nice to me and the kids. My 4 yr old DD can pet him and everything. They come up and sit with us when we are on the grass, overall we are a friendly bunch. Yesterday when my DH came into the garage where they are currently staying he/she hissed at him! I have never heard a hiss from any of them. He immediatly went and brought them some grass, and everything was cool.

Did it just get shocked? Is it getting territorial already, it is a little over 3 weeks old. We have a lot of different people here in the summer, mostly men...should they run for cover early? haha

Your experiences would be great!

Thanks

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I think the cutest thing is when the little muchkins, barely past being born, hiss! My only experience with this is Canada geese. The goslings watch their parents I guess, being protective of their babes, and when people walk by, some goslings will bravely march a few baby steps toward the people and hiss for all they are worth. It's barely audible and they could not possibly look less threatening!
    Too cute. [​IMG]
    JJ

3. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    you have yourself a true Hisser, lol

4. BullCreek

BullCreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Our 3mo old gander hisses at strangers (and sometimes the girls do too). They only hiss (and screech) at us if they can't recognize us. Ex: if my guy is wearing his big cowboy hat (scary!).

I went out there one day in a big tie dye hoodie, and they freaked out until I took the hood down. They stared at me for a second, and then started chatting me up like normal.

When our geese were small like yours, they'd hiss at the cat, and would hiss if we walked by their brooder in the dark and they couldn't tell that it was us.

5. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    That's funny!!!!

6. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I always wanted a mean guard goose (haha). They are still pretty yellow and fuzzy with random tufty feathers sticking out, so tough!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by