Goose in shock!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickybae, Feb 12, 2015.

1. chickybae

chickybae Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    My two geese got attacked by dogs this morning!! Sadly one is gone and the other is in severe shock! I couldn't find any wounds on him. He is really cold, won't stand up, and just hangs his head moving it back and forth with very small movements. I gave him a warm shower and wrapped him in a towel and put him in front of the heater. Please tell me what else I can do for him!!!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have asked somebody to look at your dilemma and offer any help that they can give you...

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am a duck person, but will offer some ideas.

Perhaps someone on the Goose Forum can help, if you have not posted there, please do.

You know it is important to keep him warm, that's good. Will he take a sip of water? Replacing electrolytes is a good thing. See if he will drink - he may not, not for a while, I would not force anything on him right now.

Can you take a look around his vent, under his wings, the tops of his legs? Look for puncture wounds.

An unbreakable mirror so he can see another goose may help.

If you have a vet, this would be a good time to see if the vet can help. Call ahead.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickybae

chickybae Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    Thank you! He is doing a lot better now. Standing up and drinking water! Keeping him warm and inside till tomorrow

5. norvell84

norvell84 New Egg

Apr 25, 2015
    Texas
    I have a grey goose has been in shock for 3 days now, we have her in a cardboard box that we covered and keeping her warm with a lamp.

On the first day she was half sunk when in the pond, basically blind and her head wobbling around like she had no control.
    The second day she was fine just trying to go to sleep.
    on the third day, you can actual see she looks sick in the face and she keeps her head on the floor a lot. The wobbling has returned.

She was attacked while heavily defending herself from a creature who took her peeping eggs plus the fake ones we had under her.
    Today is going to be the fourth day, she has not made a sound the whole time, she has drunk on her own some, but she just seems to be getting worse or is that the bad before the good?

I also would like to know if there any other steps I can take to ensure she recovers?
    [​IMG]

Her wings look worse than the camera shows they are sprawled out and loose looking not to mention how she laid her beak down in the water while I was taking the photo.
    I turned the flash off and took her outside to get light.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have serious internal injuries. I would not give up on her - I would take her to a vet and in the meantime I would give her electrolytes and I would talk to her. She may be deeply grieving. See if you can spend a little time and TLC on her. Awful news, I'm praying for you both.

And I hope you can get the security problem resolved a.s.a.p.

7. norvell84

norvell84 New Egg

Apr 25, 2015
    Texas
    The vet said she had no internal injuries and wanted to go ahead and put her down as they think she has just given up, we opted out and brought her home.

I have tried goose interaction and even setting some peeping goose eggs with her for a whole day and a half she just keeps getting worse. She no longer lifts her head you have to do that for her and lay it back down for her too.

She is still breathing, but it is a huff and puff, Her neck is getting stiff and drool is coming out of her mouth.

I have comforted her quite a bit and have her wrapped in my shirt as well as sitting on a second shirt so the heating pad don't get too hot as well as a heat lamp over top. she is still a bit cold. So all we can do is hope for the best I guess.

The vet said not to give her water or food as she will not swallow it and it might choke her, so she gave her some kind of shot full of goodies.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Your role at this point, as you have already done so well, may be hospice care. We cannot know what will stir a person or a goose from their grief. Have you tried music?

[​IMG]

9. norvell84

norvell84 New Egg

Apr 25, 2015
    Texas
    Grandfather made an electrolyte mixture for her and has her beak sitting in it, she no longer drinks, but we at least use our finger and tap her mouth every few minutes with it.

Grandmother always has music playing, from the SiriusXM TV channels.... Willie, a little classical, 40's and religious.

Thanks for your words and care, I will wait and see then update on our outcome.

10. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Hope she snaps out of it ): poor thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by