Goose in the cheicken coop

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 41ford, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 41ford

41ford Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Hustisford Wisconsin
    I have a pair of geese ( do not know male female other then there are 2 of them )
    They are free range .they hang out with the chicken .
    When time for the chicken to go in one of the geese go into the coop
    .The other one wants nothing to do with going up the ram .
    this is not a problem but once the automatic door close
    then the one outside starts to whine (or something like that )
    If I go in and get the one out then the two are fine and they go to there shelter which is open
    So what is better to keep then out or get the one to go into the coop .
    I thought geese to not like to be enclosed .

2. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    My geese don't like being enclosed and I have a real go around with them when I want to put them up in their house. I also have a chicken house with a ramp. they will go in if there is food in there to interest them. make sure the food is outside or that they have their own food. That would be quite a hassle to remove a goose everyday. I don't know what the solution would be..thought if building a higher ramp to make it inconvenient for the geese. chickens will jump or fly in to a roost. I know they don't like being separated. they will do some screaming!

3. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I'd keep the goose out of the chicken coop, mainly so the other doesn't get lonely (thus, the whining). Geese don't need shelter in quite the same way as chickens do. But they do need predator protection at night, so hopefully they are fenced in.

My geese have allowed inches of snow to pile up on them, just stand there looking upward in a hail storm, and get behind something if the wind is blowing hard. Their feathers and down are something to be envied, they don't notice weather otherwise. And yes, they prefer to be out in the open.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I used to lock mine in the barn at night but for the past year or so I've just leave the barn door open so they can come and go. Otherwise they seem miserable when they are locked up. They sleep inside in the farthest end of the barn, but they are never there in the morning when I go out to feed them - they are already outside dirtying up the water. [​IMG]

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    My 2 Embdem geese sleep inside of one of my chicken coops. They stayed inside of the garage until they were ready to go outside. They slept inside of my dogpen/kennel that has the doghouse and kennel that is combined. I used it for my injured coop. When I felt comfortable letting them free range throughout the day they would just both go back in there at nite. They decided to start sleeeping inside of the larger chicken coop and they go up and down the ramp and then through the larger people door that I keept propped open throughout the day and then go back inside to sleep at nite. I feel more comfortable with them inside at night instead of outside. I plan on moving my khaki campbell ducks out soon and will start out in the dog pen/ kennel as well. One day I will have a seperate house for my ducks and geese but for now it seems to be working. Good Luck

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My 3 go in the barn before the chickens do. They have a side of the barn the chickens have the other.

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    They will eventually be eaten by predators if you leave them out at night.
    Geese can be enclosed at night.
    No they don't like cramped quarters but its not going to harm them to enclose them at night.
    Much more harm will come from leaving them out at night unprotected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by