Goose in yard, Help!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by swmommyto3, Aug 2, 2011.

1. swmommyto3

swmommyto3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    so we came home from the river to find someone generously left us their goose!! we have about 18 chickens and I actually did raise a goose as a kid but now what?! I showed him/her the water and got it to drink. do I need goose food or is layer feed ok for now? do I need a place for her to sleep separate from the hens? Im assuming no one lost this one since she shows no inkling of trying to fly. we're on about 1/4acre fenced the chickens roam free. She's obviously hand raised, super sweet and tame, seems young, maybe an easter goose they no longer wanted? help!!!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    LOL! Good luck!

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Oh my!! Geese are fun. Maybe someone can drop of a mate for he/she........ lol. I feed mine Flockraiser but I'm sure layer pellets will be fine. Mine will also eat that as well. Really enjoys the grass most of all and just about any veggie plants that are left over.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    At least she is a sweet goose, it would have been even ruder for them to leave a mean goose in you yard! Something like Flock Raiser or water fowl feed would be better than layer feed especially if she less than a year old, but a few days of layer feed wont hurt.

5. swmommyto3

Jun 27, 2008
    thanks, found out the neighbor found 'her' walking down the road and when she went out to investigate she followed her back to her house and parked on her front porch. after numerous phone calls was told no one was coming to get her so she dropped 'her' over our fence! we put in ad on craigslist and in the paper, she is such a sweet goose she has to be someones!! got her a pool in the mean time and layer feed will have to do.

6. swmommyto3

Jun 27, 2008
    anyone know boy or girl? all white, dk blue eyes, won't shut up [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What a pretty goose! Sorry i can't help with sexing. i'm new to geese and just posted a request for help sexing my three. [​IMG] i feed mine Flockraiser. i bought the expensive Mazuri Waterfowl food but they ignored it. That's fine with me. Geese like greens - grass, lettuce, and mine like apple slices, too. But they mainly like grass.

Has your goose been friendly with your chickens? Mine tend to be fairly territorial and nip at my chicken's tails when they're out in the yard together. They also cornered our ducks in the goat pen the other day and my husband had to go rescue them. Maybe mine are that way because i have three of them and they've formed a pack.

i hope you can find the goose's home. Or, if not, it looks like your daughter is pretty happy having a goose. [​IMG]

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, she's gorgeous. Why is your neighbor making you do all the work in caring for her and finding her a new home?

I am, by no way, an expert on geese and am still learning. She kinda looks like a Chinese, but not 100%. If she's Chinese-ish, I would say female. But, I'm almost totally guessing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. swmommyto3

Jun 27, 2008
    I think he/she is your basic white embden, so far leaving the chickens alone, nipped at them once, really just wants to be with us, came up the stairs into the house after we left the back door open!! silly goose [​IMG]

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Hmm, the embdens at our lakes are so much bulkier, especially in the neck, but he/she does have that type of head. If it is an embden, sexing will be hard. I'm glad he/she is social.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by