goose injured, pesticides suspected.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by opalwednesday, Feb 15, 2013.

1. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    This morning my goose got into some grass that had bug spray applied next to it a week ago. Now sh is very weak, wont eat, constantly is washing her face, can't talk and her wings are all droopey. There is no vet that knows anything about birds in my area, does anyone know how I can help her

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here is the link to flushing toxins out, I hope this helps and she recovers, please keep us updated.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

3. opalwednesday

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    Thank you so much. My partner is on him way to give her the flush while I'm stuck at work. Thank you thank you

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

5. opalwednesday

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    Its helping!!!! I owe you her life. Thank you a million times. She can walk now and the salty stuff made her drink on her own, tripple win.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    YAY!!!! Good work!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is your goose today?

8. opalwednesday

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    Shes great! Thanks so much Lydia. It turns out that it wasn't posion, but trouble with her first egg of spring. She had severe trouble twice last year, but both times I could feel an egg in her trunk, so I knew what was going on. I have a theory, let me know what you think: since when I got my geese there was just two ladies for the first year, this goose became dominate. She mated the other one and everything. Is it possible that her lady parts developed poorly because of her elevated testosterone? I've read that I female pairs one goose will develop more male hormones and play that role, which she did. But do you think that that could be to blame for her poor egg laying record? Last year I actually birthed an egg our of her and another one slid out on our walk back to the coop :(

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm not sure about your theory, sorry, but I don't know that sometimes they can have egg producing trouble, do you put out oyster shell and feed layer? also provide extra greens in the form of kale, collards? It does sound like something is going on in her internal parts either what you said or maybe some kind of defect. you'll have to watch her close this year I'm thinking. And water they need alot of water to produce those eggs. Glad you were able to figure it out.

10. opalwednesday

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    Thabks for the tips, those are actually all things that I feed my babies. So its good to verify that's I'm doing right. Hopefully shell work it out, this is only her second egg laying year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by