Goose Lady tries Welsh Harlequin Ducks but she won't set

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by violets812, Apr 7, 2012.

1. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi!

I've had Canada geese (which I would choose as a pet over anything - even a dog!) and chickens. We moved from our ranch into a very small South Dakota town. I was worried that the town wouldn't allow geese and I had not had Canadas for a couple of years - we didn't clip their wings when they turned two and they all left, one at a time, with traveling strangers. Many times during the summer one would come back into our yard to sleep (for a whole day and night!) They would come back less and less during the summer, but several came back to the area (there are several large ponds on the ranch) and I'd walk up a little (because one of them was wild...) and they'd honk at me and try to come over. After a couple of times, I stayed in the truck and yelled my "Goosie, Goosie" because the wild one would scare me - they obviously did not understand why their husband or wife had lost it's mind and was flying over to a human. One spring, one of the geese flew over our home several times in a circle, honking the whole time. I imagined her saying, "Mom, I love him!" LOL

When we moved into town, we had 2 Roman Tufted geese that we gave to another goose person who had Romans and lived along a river. He knew how to slowing start releasing one at a time after a few weeks & they've settled into his flock.

So now I have 2 ducks with 16 eggs! She sleeps on the eggs but seems to forget that she even has eggs during the day. We have a large yard and a 10' x 8' area with 6' fence and wired top (to keep cats or whatever out.) I let them out for about an hour each day now that they have all the eggs and they run to the pool and their snack of dried worms. It's funny to have a male duck "attack" you when you're used to geese. It's easiest to just pick him up and carry him around as I do my chores.

I candled the eggs for the first time tonight. A few had vague blobs inside, all on the bottom of how they were laying. I turned them all over - she really has made a nice nest and has it covered with some of the hay. If I put them back into the duck area from the yard, she seems to see no need to set on them then either. I thought she might, just out of boredom. If I put her in the little dog house we have that they use rarely and put a removable wire door on it, do you think there would be more of a chance she'd settle down on the eggs? This is her first year.

Second question - sorry for long post! - my daughter & 3 grandchildren live in this small town - that's why we bought this house. The grandchildren were always around the geese and chicken, although I'd carry my granddaughter and we'd fence the geese up once I got the kids into the house. They just weren't around enough for the geese to know them. But now they're anxious for ducklings and so am I! Should I lock the female with the eggs in the dog house or should I just buy a few ducklings and remove the eggs - will she think - wow, they hatched. (It always worked with geese!) Thank you for any input! This is the ducklings first year so maybe that's it. I don't know - these are my first ducks.

Thank you for any input and Happy Easter everyone!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Great introduction! What a wonderful story!

I will hope more experienced hatchers weigh in. I don't think the eggs will mature if she is only semi broody, so maybe taking the eggs and getting ducklings is the way to go. That said, some ducks just don't get the motherhood thing, and can hurt or kill ducklings, so I would proceed with caution. If the latter is the case, you would need to brood the babies till they are large enough to hold their own, and even then I would put them next to, not in with, the adults at first, till I was sure they would blend nicely into one flock (which seems to be ducks' tendency most of the time).

Please keep sharing those stories!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by