1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose Laid Egg-It Has Blood On It-Help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by wildpeas, Oct 15, 2012.

1. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Celtic or someone with more experience than me please help. We just found a very large egg on the deck that apparently has been laid by one of my geese. I was not expecting any eggs so they have only been eating Flockraiser. The egg also has blood all over it. I looked at the geese and they look normal, at least nothing is hanging out where it shouldn't be.

Should I change their feed? Should I panic? I will be out for a few hours but will be checking here frequently once I am home for advice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Is this the first season that your geese are laying, or have they laid eggs in the past? I've read that it may happen to young geese at first, and that its not a problem, as long as the next couple of eggs have little to no blood on them.

3. wildpeas

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    This is the first time for them, they are only 6 months old.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have seen that in first eggs before- from ducks and chickens too. It usually isn't a problem. Just keep an eye on subsequent eggs. Nothing wrong with having them on Flockraiser this time of year- its fine as a layer ration too.

5. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Hopefully someone who knows more will respond. I would think that if the geese appear to be okay then it is fine. I would imagine that your goose won't lay many more eggs until next year. What I have read on the geese forum is that some geese will lay for a very short time in the autumn. I thought that was usually africans and chinese. I have also several other posts that their young geese are laying. It seems that you are not alone. My geese are just shy of 6 months. I am expecting to see eggs next January at the earliest, but most likely February or March. I am new to geese this year so I am not full of experience.

Are your geese a pair? Or both females? If they are a pair, is the male acting aggressive?
    These are just questions from me, not helping answer the question. Sorry.

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    And one question that Flockman left out, what breed are your geese? My goose started laying her first eggs recently, and she was hatched in April of this year, she's a Chinese goose. Others have posted that their Chinese & Africans are starting to lay now, as Flockman mentioned. My goose is now on a schedule of laying every other day, at first, she'd lay once every two or three days, so you might expect a second egg soon. Let us know how how that one turns out. And as HappyMtn said, its time to get some layer feed!

7. wildpeas

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    They are two females and both Embdens. They are acting normally and right now are staring at me through the dog door. I will keep a closer eye on them for the next few days.
    Thanks everyone!

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    very normal for first time layers with first eggs to have some streaking on them. Congrats on your eggs.

9. wildpeas

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Thanks Celtic, I'm feeling much calmer about it now.

10. wildpeas

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Update-she laid another egg last night/this morning and it didn't have any blood on it. All is well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by