Goose Laying Eggs ,,, June, July and August... is this normal?

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
Spring was wet and cold but the majority of my Geese stopped laying eggs in June, however, Freddie is still laying eggs in August and shows no sign of giving up laying eggs yet... does anyone else have this happening at the moment...?

Spring was wet and cold but the majority of my Geese stopped laying eggs in June, however, Freddie is still laying eggs in August and shows no sign of giving up laying eggs yet... does anyone else have this happening at the moment...?
Hey Suzie
frow.gif
happy to see ya, I know for sure there are a few still getting eggs from their geese. It's not the norm though. One person who is incubating Scovy eggs and has Embdens says his goose is still laying, and RG-2 from the goose thread has a Chinese [I believe ] that's still laying.

Hey Miss Lydia!!!!!

I knew that you would be here to help me out!!! How are you?????
frow.gif

I have a Scovy that has just set on nine eggs.... so September should hopefully bring some more ducklings... so late in the year too!

Weird weather and weird happenings here......spooky!

I see you are a titled lady now.... very deservedly so too.... always a friend and great spirit!

As it is getting late in the year Freddie will have to wait until next year to see if she can hatch any Toulouse goslings for me... she does not much like the attentions of the gander yet.. she would rather spend her time with Elvis (a Scovy male) whom she has become very friendly with... she sleeps in the duck house and despite may attempts to get her to spend her nights with the geese she declines to do so....

Dysfunctional farm... is still here!

Hey Miss Lydia!!!!!

I knew that you would be here to help me out!!! How are you?????
frow.gif

I have a Scovy that has just set on nine eggs.... so September should hopefully bring some more ducklings... so late in the year too!

Weird weather and weird happenings here......spooky!

I see you are a titled lady now.... very deservedly so too.... always a friend and great spirit!

As it is getting late in the year Freddie will have to wait until next year to see if she can hatch any Toulouse goslings for me... she does not much like the attentions of the gander yet.. she would rather spend her time with Elvis (a Scovy male) whom she has become very friendly with... she sleeps in the duck house and despite may attempts to get her to spend her nights with the geese she declines to do so....

Dysfunctional farm... is still here!
Hey Congrats to you for the 4 yrs. mine is coming up in Oct. We had a small hatch this year. 4 Scovys' then mysteriously one died so we only added 3 new ones to our flock which makes 16[hubs says way too many] I really don't think you can have to many Scovy's though
wink.png
And Freddie seems to be working overtime, hope she'll soon be through and rest up for next breeding season. Although she's going to have to decided on a gander is she wants off spring, well unless you slip her some eggs. They can be goofy can't they. Was Freddie hatched at your farm by a scovy? our gander was and he thought he was a duck for over 6 yrs till I finally broke down and got him a goose companion. He loves his new mate, but still loves his scovy mom too.

Hope all is well with you health wise too.

Our Sebastopol's stopped laying eggs in June. That seems to be when they stop each year. But do have a female that starts laying eggs in November. Hope this year she does not. She has every year so far since she was an adult. She has never had fertile eggs because none of my ganders breed with her?
idunno.gif

So this year I gave her goslings to raise 6 of them and she has been a great momma teacher to the goslings....
We shall see in November if she lays eggs again or not?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses...well Freddie laid another egg today and she seems to be very happy and healthy.

Freddie was hatched in an incubator indoors here and she imprinted on me for quite some time.. she and I spent many hours wandering around her territory... exploring and sharing stories about life... Freddie would "round up" any ducks that were late getting back to their house for the night.. she would get behind them... flap her wings and they would head for home immediately...I felt bad about leaving her alone with the ducks and geese as she was so used to being everywhere with me....eventually she found a friend in Elvis and they are firm friends now. Freddie was the only egg to hatch from the twelve I put in the incubator... she is my very first Toulouse hatched here.

Thanks for asking... my health is good now... I spent most of April and May in and out of Hospital having tests done.... I have had so much nuclear medicine injected into me i am probably radioactive now!

I gotta go some to catch up with your Scovy count... I only have 12 now....Pie went a wandering one evening and never came home.. I did find just one wing... probably a fox got her.. I only hope that her end was quick...

Eeek... been here for 4 years... how time flies!
ep.gif

Aww Freddie sounds like a sweet heart. It's been a long ti me since I had a gosling going on 7 yrs now, maybe next yr we'll have some Toulouse/Embden's running around. I said I wouldn't breed them because of 2 different breeds but I miss not having any. I think that those 2 would make a nice combo.
I'm sorry you lost Pie, they really do become part of the family don't they? hopefully these hatching in Sept will bring lots of joy to you.
How's the weather been over there? it's been so rainy this year we have been wondering if we might be the new rain forest of the USA. Can't believe it's almost mid Aug. Keep us updated on what happening with you and your flock, been missing you!
smile.png

Aw.. thanks!

Been missing you too.... !

We have had almost eight months of continuous rain... started in October and did not stop until June of this year...Spring was cold too... so the vegetables to feed the animals has been slow to progress... that is a priority... humans come second to the animals here!!!!!!!!

Sad to relate but my Embden gander died a few weeks ago... he was gifted to me as was his female partner... she has been missing him but she is slowly becoming adjusted to being with the male Toulouse....and the other females here. I thought she would be ostracised but she is coping well now.

Gordon my "homosexual" gifted male died in November... that was a very sad time for me... he was an African goose, I also had to deal with one of my donkeys having to be euthanased by my horse Vet ... she had a neurological problem and I was distraught at her demise.. she too was gifted to me.... not a young donkey but all the same she was loved as are all of the others here..I must be a crazy person... I love to clean the housing for the geese, ducks, chickens, rabbits and whatever comes to live here... my satisfaction is that when all of them come home at night to their secure houses that all is cleaned...fresh water, great food etc... and then they show their appreciation by leaving me their poop gifts! Love it don't we ?

Thanks for the responses...well Freddie laid another egg today and she seems to be very happy and healthy.

Freddie was hatched in an incubator indoors here and she imprinted on me for quite some time.. she and I spent many hours wandering around her territory... exploring and sharing stories about life... Freddie would "round up" any ducks that were late getting back to their house for the night.. she would get behind them... flap her wings and they would head for home immediately...I felt bad about leaving her alone with the ducks and geese as she was so used to being everywhere with me....eventually she found a friend in Elvis and they are firm friends now. Freddie was the only egg to hatch from the twelve I put in the incubator... she is my very first Toulouse hatched here.

Thanks for asking... my health is good now... I spent most of April and May in and out of Hospital having tests done.... I have had so much nuclear medicine injected into me i am probably radioactive now!

I gotta go some to catch up with your Scovy count... I only have 12 now....Pie went a wandering one evening and never came home.. I did find just one wing... probably a fox got her.. I only hope that her end was quick...

Glad to see you are back on here.

Freddie I guess is confused on laying eggs! It is too late in the season to hatch any goslings unless you live in a warm place year round.
Eeek... been here for 4 years... how time flies!
ep.gif

Suzie sorry to hear you were in and out of hospitals I know the feeling! I too can light up at night from the nuclear medicine they inject. Guess what I have to have a stress test done for this year again for the transplant list. I thought I was done with all my testing by going 2 hours away to University of Missouri in Columbia MO. I am on their transplant list for a kidney. But am also on the Barnes Jewish Hospital transplant list so they now want that test done after all the testing I had done at Columbia!
Glad to see you back on here.

Guess Freddie is confused on laying seasons. Too late to hatch and raise goslings at this time of year. Unless you are in a warmer state where it stays warm all year long. So if you can no hatch you might as well eat the eggs or bake with them.....

Oh RURU...

I do feel for you... it seems that whenever a Hospital gets to start treatment, they like to keep delving further.. I didn't even know that my spinal column was being eroded by the RA...so.. I am still doing all that I did before getting that unwelcome news...!

I do so hope that all goes well and that you get your kidney very soon!

I too have to travel over 100 miles to Hospital... so for any out-patient appointments and day scans I am there all day and have to clean my animals at night....ggrrrhhhh!

I am happy be be having a Hospital holiday now.... but back again in September... c'est la vie!

Freddie donated another egg yesterday... one of the dogs managed to find it and was bringing it up to the house... she dropped it..... so that one was eaten promptly! One of the dogs is good at bringing the eggs home that Freddie lays... the others are useless at carrying them intact.

Back
Top Bottom