goose laying question???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BarredRockGirls, Nov 16, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    i realize we aren't to the laying season yet ... but these are my first geese and im trying to be prepared ... bear with me .

OK my 2 ladies are 7 months old today...
    sleeping-
    they sleep in the chicken coop on the floor in a HUGE floor nest i made on one side of the coop with hay ... with my 3- 9 month old female Pekin ducks . they are a flock. like their own flock . no chickens allowed flock. - the chickens get the roost up top and the nest boxes ...the 12 female chickens tolerate them and they tolerate the chickens but no one gets too close to each other .
    Laying -
    in that huge floor nest that they all share my Pekins make lil holes and lay their eggs.- everyday . sometimes all are in one lil hole sometimes they are in 3 separate holes .

laying season is coming ..... do i need to put in a tub or box for the 2 geese to lay in? will they now be aggressive to my ducks that they've been sharing a nest with for months ? chickens going in to the coop to lay be a problem?

separating them is not an option i don't think or know how really ... they all freak out ! ducks freak out if the geese are outta sight missing and geese freak out if one or two of the ducks are outta sight . they are a pack lol

and the chickens wish there wasn't any ducks or geese i think hahaha

2. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

My geese never get aggressive about other birds getting near their nest until they have goslings, but then they do have a lot of space. Also, my ducks lay their eggs in the goose nests when no-one´s looking. [​IMG]
    Do you have enough space to put some kennels or similar for them to use later away from the main coop? They may not need to be separated, they may do it themselves. If you put in a drum or barrel or kennel for them with plenty of hay in another area, they may just choose that over the chicken coop, being less traffic!
    Just have a few ideas up your sleeve just in case you need them.....[​IMG]

3. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Yep

4. TheBirdMan5

TheBirdMan5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    what kind of geese are they because certain types of geese are aggressive to other birds when they are nesting and have babies all sheldgeese are aggressive when they have eggs/babies also Canadian and barnacle geese are aggressive so it all depends on the breed and yes they need a nest box

5. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Having just females may make it easier. My goose last year was just as sweet as always. My gander was the one that wanted ducks to stay back and the chickens to die. Boris never hurt a hen. He did beat up a cocky rooster.

6. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    i have all females- no roos, drakes,or ganders - altho tho one goose has gotten quite the attitude lately . and they are buff Pomeranian geese. there is enough room in the coop to put their own tub - but id still prefer them in the coop so i can lock them in at night

7. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland

hahaha all geese want chickens dead

8. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, try it...you won´t be breeding them, so no problem, they may like a tyre with straw in, it also stops the eggs from rolling away.
    But you can still lock them in at night, even if they lay outside...since you´re going to be collecting the eggs. It may just get a bit tricky if one or both decide to go broody. [​IMG]

And serv, my geese don´t try to kill the chickens, they only get a bit pushy over the food, but they´re fine the rest of the time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by