Goose laying season?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by redhen, May 31, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi! How long (usually) and when is their laying season? And do they usually lay again during the year?
    I have seb goose that laid for maybe a couple of months..but now shes stopped laying... and i'm a bit worried about her being egg bound (no signs or symptoms though)
    but maybe her laying season is just over..? [​IMG]

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Laying season is approximately February - May. So she's probably just done with her laying season. [​IMG]

I have heard of some geese hatching a clutch in spring and then another in fall. But I probably wouldn't expect anymore eggs out of her, I've never heard of sebs doing that, to my knowledge. You never know, though! I just wouldn't worry about it until next year.

3. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I did have a sebbie lay a clutch in the fall last year but it didn't work out well at all due to the cold weather and she was inexperienced and didn't know to keep the goslings warm when they started hatching. I've never had any of my other geese do this in the fall so chances are yours is done for the season as well. I had eggs, eggs and more eggs starting in February of this year and they all stopped except for my yearling Emden after their nests were established.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks for the info guys! I wont worry about her then.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by