goose left her eggs

AndreaV636

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2017
Northern Illinois
Hello!

So, I'm new to hatching eggs the old-fashioned way! My goose has laid a bunch and I've collected them and incubated them inside; but I've decided to let her have the last of them. She has six in the nest and hasn't been sitting. Today, I opened the coop door to let everyone out and she came with the rest. When I checked her eggs, they were very warm and I was super excited to think that she'd gone broody finally. But she's been off the nest for about an hour and doesn't seem to have any intention of going back. So now what??!?!?

I do not. I have only two incubators that are currently in use - one I keep at conditions that wouldn't be right for these eggs and the other is very full. She was off her nest ALL day yesterday. I wonder if that means the eggs are ruined now. :(

Yesterday, the temps outside were in the 60s for most of the day, and low 40s overnight. The coop is not tight, so I'm sure the temps inside were comparable.

When I let her out of the coop this morning, the eggs were not warm as they'd been the previous day. So for whatever reason, she sat on the nest once overnight and then hasn't gone back to sitting again since.

No, I actually was able to make some space in my incubator by moving others over to the hatcher and also by stacking the eggs a bit inside the incubator. Hopefully, they'll be ok like that for a couple days until some space is freed up (I have eggs hatching over the weekend).

I guess later next week I'll know if any damage was done by the dramatic temperature fluctuations.

No, I actually was able to make some space in my incubator by moving others over to the hatcher and also by stacking the eggs a bit inside the incubator. Hopefully, they'll be ok like that for a couple days until some space is freed up (I have eggs hatching over the weekend).

I guess later next week I'll know if any damage was done by the dramatic temperature fluctuations.

When water fowl are planning on going broody they spend a week getting the nest set, during this week she will be sitting at night and sometimes during the day for a few hours, give her time, she hasn’t get enough eggs to her liking yet

Back
Top Bottom