SniperGoose

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Central PA
Around a week ago now, I went to put my geese in for the night and noticed something...off. They spend all day in their 1 acre outdoor enclosure with the chickens and ducks, and go in their own separate coop at night. Anyway, when I went to get my geese, I noticed my female was laying down on the ground. Not normal for her when I'm there, as she usually comes running over to me. I picked her up and looked her over, and nothing seemed wrong. There were no visible injuries. She was just suddenly unable to walk at all. It seems to be her left side giving her the trouble. I've been giving her water therapy (aka letting her float in a warm bath and holding her in place while she paddles), and she loves that. I've seen a little improvement, and I try to work with her for a few hours daily. She's still perky and does eat and drink, but not as much as she did before this happened to her. I gave her some vitamin B complex, and I think that may have helped too.

I took a video of her from 2 days ago now. She struggles with her left side, as you can see here:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Today she is getting up and walking around on her own, though can't stay up for a super long time still. It is improvement though for sure. She still has that left side limp though and I'm not sure what to even do for her other than what I've been doing. She likes to walk over to me and lean her chest on my lap while resting her head on my shoulder to steady herself. I do think she's improving now, but I'd like some opinions on this.

I'm not opposed to taking her to a vet. However, that's easily a 2+ hour drive for me to find a vet that will take a goose. On top of that, it would cost a lot of money that I really can't afford to spend right now. Will I spend that for her if I have to? Yes, yes I will. I love Sniper and I want her to get better, but I was wondering if there's someone on here who experienced the same thing with their birds that could offer me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

I think you are right for giving her water to take the weight off her legs. I would also try to keep her from walking more then she has to. I can not say what is wrong though.

That's good to hear! And I'm happy to say that she has improved tremendously since that video was taken. Today she even came out of the coop on her own and was walking around a little bit eating grass for a few minutes before I put her back in. She has a slight limp, but not near as bad as what the video showed. She even has her normal appetite back. I think within 4 days or so, she'll be all good!

That's good to hear! And I'm happy to say that she has improved tremendously since that video was taken. Today she even came out of the coop on her own and was walking around a little bit eating grass for a few minutes before I put her back in. She has a slight limp, but not near as bad as what the video showed. She even has her normal appetite back. I think within 4 days or so, she'll be all good!
Excellent news!

I too think that it sounds like you have been doing a great job with her. The vitamin B is a good idea, as are the water treatments.

I second keeping her in a restricted area so that she doesn't move around too much, she needs to let it heal.

Back
Top Bottom