Goose Mobile (Poultry Wagon) COOP REQUIREMENTS Needed :)

PromiselandFM

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
We have geese coming in April and we're trying to design there coop. We keep chickens and are building a movable coop on hay wagon running gear... We have a few questions...

1.) How big does the entrance door need to be for Geese (I'm getting Pilgrims and Lavenders)? All the books only show weight.

2.) We're worried about training geese to go up a ramp... into the house. Can they be trained? Is there a certain incline level they prefer? I'm guessing the less steep the better...? Our chickens will go up anything... but I'm worried about geese.

3.) How big does there nest boxes need to be?

4.) Does there coop floor need to be soild? We were hoping to use some kind of landscaping mesh... so the poop would fall through. They'll only be in there at night... and to lay...

Thanks. PLEASE HELP! It's hard to find info for geese...

P.S. The below picture is our inspiration... it's not ours, it's from PA Bowen Farmstead.

Rashel
ThePromiselandFarm.org

geese prefer steps over ramps, although they will use a VERY wide and low inclined ramp if they must.

geese lay their eggs in the corner, give them a pile of straw and they will build a nest in a chosen corner.

Lavenders arent a breed but color, and a color found in a couple of breeds too

Our doors are 30" tall and taller for the geese

A nesting goose can become very teritorial and not allow other birds into or near their nesting location.

Yes the floor needs tobe solid, waterfowl in general shouldnt be on wire as it causes foot issues like bumblefoot.

Keeping chickens and geese in one building can lead to geese picking at chickens if they claim it as their nest,

Keeping them in the same open space can often lead to geese being pooped on all night long too.

Chcieks roost and sleep all night, Geese do not sleep all night and spend time awake and milling about.

Great pasture house, I would suggest one for chickens, and one (not as large) for the geese. They can share pasture all day

oh and one last thing, I hope you arent getting the geese to guard your chickens. They will not do this, they may alert some if they dont like something, but geese are all bluff and suseptable to being killed by predators too. Everything from raccoons to fox and coyote, bob cat, to dogs ect

Thank you for the great response to all my questions. I was hoping to hear our chickens and geese would co-habitate better... we didn't want to build a separate movable housing structure.

My husband isn't going to like building another poultry wagon :( Shoot... we'll have to ponder this one some more.

The breed we ordered is called American lavenders and American blues from Holderread Waterfowl Farm... I guess I'm not sure what bread they are... American?

Thanks again. I found your fan page on facebook and "liked" it :)

Rashel

Last edited:
Thank you for the great response to all my questions. I was hoping to hear our chickens and geese would co-habitate better... we didn't want to build a separate movable housing structure.

My husband isn't going to like building another poultry wagon :( Shoot... we'll have to ponder this one some more.

The breed we ordered is called American lavenders and American blues from Holderread Waterfowl Farm... I guess I'm not sure what bread they are... American?

Rashel

Sounds like you got American Buffs, in lavender & blue colors. Check out the breed chat thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700291/american-buff-blue-lavander-etc-goose-thread-post-pics

Rashel
Yep you have American geese in Lavdner and Blue colors ordered. Ok, another option for the house is to build a "stall" inside of it for the geese atnight. You can open the stall door in the morning to let them come and go, and at lock down in the evenings shut them in their stall. It doesnt have to be fancy, and the walls dont have to go all the way to the ceiling. Think 4' high walls with a hinged door/gate on the front. If you dont want chickens roosting on the wall of the stall you can make a "spindle" type upper wall from dowel attached to the top of the stall wall and up to a header board at the ceiling, or other lumber of your choice. That would allow the stall to not be a dark box, but keep the chickens out of it also. then if she stats sitting eggs you have a spot all her own.

If my description isnt clear as mud above let me know I can show you some examples.

Yes please, do you have pictures? Is this something y'all did? I'm wondering about space... Do the really need 5-7.5sq ft for each bird if they are only in there quarters at night...?

a stall for night quarters should be 4 or 5' wide by 6 to 10' deep. Bigger is ALWAYS better in the case of geese. Our trios in stalls sleep well in 4' x 10' our pairs sleep nicely in 5'x5'. Our chickens arent with the geese, but I can show you images of stalls, separate housing and the upper wall I am speaking off too. We are shippingtoday so it might be later before I can get on and show you the pictures

Back
Top Bottom