Goose Newbie....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by VirginiaMoo, Jan 31, 2015.

1. VirginiaMoo

VirginiaMoo New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm a goose newbie and wanted to see if I could get a few questions answered.

I recently acquired a 3 year old male Canadian Swan Goose from the shelter and would like to get him a mate. I'm wondering if I need to go with a female Canadian Swan Goose or if I can choose another breed? Just not sure how geese feel about other breeds.

Once that is decided, I'd like to know the best place to look for a female (thinking at least a year old).... any recommendations?

Thanks so much!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on your adoption love to hear of good homes for the homeless. Your gander will not be picky about the female you get for him. and this is a good time to find one since breeding season is just getting under way for geese. So look at craigs List other rescues centers even pet finder has geese occasionally or you might wait if you don't find any there and get him a gosling, after a couple weeks old he'll take to the baby like it was his. Ganders make great daddys. If too cold still when you get a gosling if you decide to go that route you can brood inside and just take the gosling out for daytime visits. only problem with getting a gosling is you may end up with another gander unless the place you buy from sexes them. Also putting up a wanted ad in local feed stores may locate a goose for your gander.

Here in NC we have Carolina water fowl who adopts out geese and ducks They are a rescue

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. VirginiaMoo

VirginiaMoo New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    Virginia
    Thank you so much!!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Love to see a pic of your new gander when you get time. [​IMG]

5. Are you wanting them to have goslings? If you plan to have goslings from the pair, a canada goose and a domestic breed will only produce sterile offspring. If that doesnt matter, then any breed will do geese dont descriminate all they know when breeding season comes around is the parts fit and looks doesnt matter. If looks did matter in my mixed flock all my ganders would have needed little paper bags to put over the girls heads.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

7. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    :lau

8. VirginiaMoo

VirginiaMoo New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    Virginia
    LOL!! I'm not looking to start up breeding at all.... I'm just looking to make my guy as happy as I can. Thanks for the input! He is in with my 4 ducks right now and I was hoping the company might be good enough but it does not seem to be working. I guess they do discriminate against different species! LOL

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My gander hung out with my Muscovy's for over 5 yrs [I think he thought he was a giant Muscovy] then I brought in a female ,still took him about 4 months to accept her he was so imprinted on the ducks, but now he has a flock of 4 counting him and he wants all ducks, chickens as far away as possible. I hope you can find your gander a friend soon. They really do need companionship of their own kind

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by