goose or gander how do you tell?

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
So I have 8 Chinese geese 5 white and 3 brown all about 2 months old. I was wondering if there is anything I can look for at this age that would tell me whos a goose and whos a gander. I have noticed that the skin around the eyes on four of the geese (1 brown and 3 white) is very bright orange while the other four (2 brown 2 white) look to have no/pale color around the eyes. Maybe it just has something to do with what they've been eating out in the yard? Or are they like chickens in the sense that at a developmental phase the males skin appears much more pigmented and bright then the females. And I have read and seen diagrams on how to sex geese but I'd rather not go that route...actually I refuse to, gross. lol.

I don't know about Chinese, but my geese (Pomeranians) you can tell by the size and build of the bill: Males have longer stouter bills. In the case of the Chinese, at some point very soon if not already, the knob on the top of the bill will begin to become much more pronounced on the gander. I would think this would be your most reliable route to sexing your birds.

Also, it is about this age that the males tend to start being taller than the females. The height difference may not be substantial, but will get noticeable.

In my breed, their is a slight difference in the shape and size of the head: My females head is slightly rounder and smaller than the males.

Good luck sorting them out. I would suggest you look at photos of sexed Chinese geese, like on Feathersite and it may help you to know what to look for on them.

Other than vent sexing or sending in for genetic DNA testing, the males are supposed to have a larger knob on their bill.

I've never heard of differing eyelid color, but keep track and let us know if that has worked for you. Maybe you are on to something

Vent sexing or DNA testing (with feathers) is the way to go, like Oregon Blues said. The behavior of your geese can give you some clues too, but its not as accurate. I have a pair of white chinese geese that I acquired straight run. I was hoping that they would both be the same sex, since I'm not looking to increase the size of the flock., but it looks like I have a male & female. The ways I can tell are 1). There is a size difference between the two, even though they are both 4 months old (possibly from the same clutch) The male is larger and his legs seem thicker than hers, 2) The male is protective of the female, he puts himself between us and the female when we crouch down to pet them, he also puts his neck over her as a form of protection, 3) The male has a higher pitched "voice" than the female, 4) His beak is wider than her beak... but this may be because his knob is developing quicker than hers. Ultimately, we'll have to wait until their knobs are fully developed, males have larger knobs than females.

Oh, and the skin around the eyes of mine appear to be identical.

Last edited:
Not sure about Chinese, but my African ganders have a more upright stance, provide the first warnings, and usually will be the ones to bluff charge my cats and older dog. They too stand between strangers and the girls. Girls seem a little more calm and shy and tend to follow the boys.

My dewlap Toulouse, on the other hand, are not as distinguishable except for the subtle difference in stance.

Male geese are usually friendlier and bolder, females are more shy and hang back. Males are taller than the female and heavier (comparatively).l I don't know I just can "tell' , the girls are more feminine....
old.gif
Now with ducks, I reverse the behavior, the females seem friendlier and less fearful than the males towards humans.....the males are more skiddish... go figure ....

Back
Top Bottom