Goose or Gander?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chwychuro, Jan 22, 2017.

1. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    So I had bought 3 Toulouse Geese last September, and at the time they were just about a month or 2 older than my goslings that were hatched late may to early june. I also have a male duck that was raised with them and believes he's a goose. They all walk around proud with their chests out, or at least a few do. I'm sure I have at least 3 males. I was pretty sure that this one particular toulouse goose was a gander, only I'm not too sure anymore. I saw Nemo (the duck who thinks he's a goose) mount this goose, all the while the goose squatted on the floor to let him mate. Does this mean that the "gander" may actually be a goose? or is this like a pecking order thing? I'm still waiting on eggs since they've pretty much all have started mating about a month to a month and half ago....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like that maybe a female I can't imagine my gander squatting on the floor for a drake to mate him. Did the drake actually mate the goose if so I'd def say female.

3. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA

The Drake mounted the goose... When he walked away his penos was definitely out.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like female to me. Won't hurt at all for them to mate.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by