Goose problem

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylverfly, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I'm having a serious problem with 3 of my ganders, (and this is not funny so do not laugh at me) they fight with each other every time I go into their enclosure which was becoming a problem to begin with but now its gotten worse. I got them straight run and ended up with 4 males and 4 females (one female is much smaller then the other females and rarely associates with the other geese, she's laid one tiny lopsided egg so she's a weird female). The one big male I have is top goose and seems to be hoarding all three healthy normal females to himself (they are Chinese geese, which I've been told are not very monogamous). So on to the new worse problem the 3 males are still fighting when I'm around and now they are attempting to mount and "hump" me. They are huge for Chinese geese the last time I weighed the big male he was 18lb, so they are not so easily deterred once this happens with the wings flapping and claws scratching I've got some nice gashes on my knee right now. And I am 100% positive what they are trying to do (do not ask). I'm not OK with this behavior and they will have to go if they don't stop, but if I get some more female geese will they stop, and do they need to be mature females or females their age? Or maybe I need to get rid of the hoarding male? I guess I need to know if I have a male to female ratio problem here or is this a behavior problem? Please respond ASAP I'm not going to put up with this for much longer.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would either get more girls, or eat or sell the extra ganders.

That behaviour is unacceptable in my opinion.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    split them up into male/female pairs in their own yards. Feed and change waters before you let them out of their houses each morning. Use a broom or other pole (PVC works too) as a herding tool to move them away from you and back into their houses at night.

they dont see you as flock leader and because their hormones are raging the ganders are asserting dominance over you. Put an end to it now or it can only lead to worse behavior.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Or there's that! :)

5. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Should Chinese geese be kept in trios or pairs ideally.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you can do either actually 1:1 or 1:2

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 or remove/eat two of the ganders and see if that changes the social dynamics of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by