Goose Protectors

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amanda16, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Amanda16

Amanda16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    I've read a couple articles that mention getting geese to protect your flock, but nothing really goes into detail. I was wondering if there was any where to find out more? Any opinions? Does it work?

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You might try asking on the Geese forum to get their input:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese

I haven't raised geese but I wonder if geese sound the alarm more than protect? Guess it depends on what you're wanting protection from. I wouldn't want to count on a goose to protect a flock of chickens against every type of predator.

When it comes to keeping a flock safe from predators, I'd trust a secure, covered run over another animal (whether that be a rooster, a goose, or what have you).

Just my opinion...it'll be interesting to see what others say.

1 person likes this.
  3. heatherduquaine

heatherduquaine New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    Two different stories that I have dealt with

I had a small goose who didn't fit in with my other two and I put him in with our chickens and he was great with them but was not a protector at all.

I have to geese and I love them to death. However, they are definitely not for everyone as they can be quite hard to handle behavior wise and I would not recommend putting them in with chickens because they are much larger and also can be a little aggressive especially if you have a mated pair during the spring when geese lay their eggs. Mine are great with each other put they went after after the smaller goose when I put it in with them.

Good Luck!

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I just got y first geese back in October.

From what I read,it depends.Not all geese are going to fight for them,but lots of times,one will take one for the team.

Ganders are usually extremely more protective because of the goose from what I see,but females can aso be mean when it comes to defending their babies.

They do alarm the area though.

5. Amanda16

Amanda16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    Thank you guys for the imput =^-^=. I think i will also ask the community in the goose forums as suggested above. =^-^=

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by