Goose questions!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 26, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im gonna be getting some pilgrim hatching eggs from a friend of mine in spring, and I was wondering if I should keep two females, or a pair [​IMG] (that is if I get this many goslings) I dont really plan on hatching eggs, maybe eating and freezeing them since there so dang big. Would it be worth while keeping a pair if no hatching is going on? I cant have a aggresive gander chasing people around when breeding season comes either... Would a female chase people?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If you don't plan on hatching anytime soon you could have two females and just add a gander later. Yes a female goose can be just as aggressive as a gander. It just depends on the individual

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Im more into hatching duck eggs. And my limit on geese is two, so I have to pick the genders right away! Lol.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    What about keeping a pair and just let them hatch their own goslings and sell them young, or if you don't want the, to hatch at all you could take the eggs and eat them or sell them as hatching eggs. I would keep a pair if it was my choice.

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would say a pair also just because they really bond so well to each other. Otherwise I would go for to 2 females over 2 males specially since you do have ducks you don't need two nasty ganders trying to mate your ducks!

And for aggression honestly as long as you handle them from birth they will be just fine with you! and you will have to teach them who's boss when it comes to other people and animals!

I am planning on getting a pair this spring also. We did have 3 embdens , they were raised for Christmas birds. My gander was a nasty thing, but we got them as almost a year old so they weren't really raised by hand!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hand raised or not, geese tend to become somewhat aggressive during the breeding season - both females and males. Just a natural response to increased hormones that gives them courage to protect their nest.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, if they EVER go broody I will have them in their OWN pen. (i have a small coop I use for broodies)

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Just in case my geese I order develop attitudes and need to be isolated, what size pen would a pair of geese need? How long and when is breeding season generally?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My gander gets pretty nasty during breeding season, but i don't pen him up. i just stay out of his way and carry the broom with me when I go around him. I don't have to hit him with the broom just hold it in my hand between us. He just can't help being a stinker . It starts in Feb. and usually goes through early summer. Right now he is the best behaved he will be, I can even touch him. [​IMG] He is a meanie with everyone including the other ducks especially the drakes but we've all been around him for so long now we just know to keep our distance. I wouldn't let him be around children though.

10. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Pilgrim Geese are not very aggressive, only during breeding season so as long as you let them know you are alpha you are not going to have problems with them. You are not going to want to breed Pilgrim geese that are related, the eggs you get will be marked as to what pair they came from. So keep this in mind when choosing your keepers. Also if they are related when they hatch you are not going to want to breed any of them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by