goose questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ermer124, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ermer124

ermer124 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    I have a three-four month old goose, and there are a few things I'm unsure of. Hoping some of you can help me out.

I've been feeding her a flock raiser crumble, but it doesn't how long to feed them that. Should I switch her to something else now that she's grown? Like pellets maybe?

Also, winter is approaching pretty quickly here. It's already getting pretty chilly at night. What all do I need to do for her as far as winter proofing goes? I hear that they dont really mind the cold. Do I need to provide any kind of heat source in her little house?

2. ermer124

May 14, 2013
    Also, what's a healthy weight for a 4 month old toulouse? She has food available all day, and I'm a little concerned with her becoming overweight. Should I start taking her food out at night?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not sure on weight but I feed Flock Raiser crumble from hatch till the end of their lives, some say the pellets aren't wasted as much but I think that's if you have a mixed flock like I do with chickens thrown in the mix [they are the worst for throwing food all over the place]
    She won't need a heat source just make sure she had plenty of shavings in her house and kept as dry as possible she should do fine. And is able to get out of the extreme temps, wind and snow. She doesn't need food 24/7 now only during day light hours. If you post some pics we can probably tell you if she is over weight.

4. ermer124

May 14, 2013
    This is my not-so-little-anymore Miss Nelson
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She doesn't look over weight but getting so different angles may help. but looking at her from the pics she doesn't
    look over weight. does she have grass to eat too? if she does she is probably doing more grazing than munching on her FR.
    she is about the size my Toulouse was when I got her, they sure grow fast.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  6. ermer124

May 14, 2013
    I'll try to get a few good side shots later so you can see a better view. I don't really think she's overweight yet, but it is a concern. She has a huge yard of grass that she has free reign over unless we aren't home, and even then she has plenty of grass in her pen. It is pretty crazy how fast they grow. We had some kittens born on the day she hatched...Hard to imagine by looking at them that they're the same age. The kitties are still so small and she's full grown. I was worried about only having the one goose as i've heard they get pretty lonely, but she has taken right up with the kittens. they sleep in the pen with her at night. They go EVERYWHERE together. Including my neighbors yard. luckily the neighbors really like her little visits lol poor nelson thinks she's a cat and has taken roll as leader of the kitties[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you don't have roaming dogs because they can take down a goose in a heart beat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by