Goose recipes?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by seabreeze, Feb 4, 2011.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Anyone here use their geese for culinary delights? Roast goose? thanks.

2. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Quote:This goose is TO DIE FOR. I used this recipe at Christmas and there was not a scrap of goose left.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2428/gordons-christmas-roast-goose-

and I made this gravy from the pan drippings and we all thought we'd died and gone to Heaven.

Gordon Ramsay Turkey Gravy with Cider & Walnuts
    • Serves: 8-10
    • Prep Time: 20 mins
    • Total Time: 45 mins
    Ingredients
    • Excess fluid from roasted turkey
    • Bacon strips from roasted turkey
    • 2 roasted onions from roasted turkey
    • 1 roasted lemon from roasted turkey
    • 3 Rosemary sprigs
    • 2 Tomatoes, chopped
    • 2 Turkey Wings from roasted turkey
    • 2 cups dry apple cider
    • Resting juices from roasted turkey
    • 1 cup Chicken Stock
    • Handful of crushed walnuts
    Instructions
    Drain excess fluid from roasted turkey and place into a pan over low heat. Remove bacon, onions and lemon from the turkey, chop and place into pan.
    Add in 2 Rosemary sprigs and the chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking over low heat, occasionally stirring the mixture to keep it from burning.
    Tear off the wings of the turkey and add them to the mixture. If the tail is still attached, cut it off and add it as well.
    Pour in the dry apple cider. As the mixture cooks and reduces, add in the resting juices that have accumulated under the turkey while it has been resting.
    When the mixture has reduced by half, pour it through a sieve and crush as much of it through the screen as possible with the back of a ladle to extract the flavor.
    Add 1 cup of chicken stock and mix in a sprig of Rosemary.
    Place crushed walnuts on the bottom of the gravy boat and ladle gravy into the boat.

December 20, 2010 7:54 PM

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:This goose is TO DIE FOR. I used this recipe at Christmas and there was not a scrap of goose left.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2428/gordons-christmas-roast-goose-

and I made this gravy from the pan drippings and we all thought we'd died and gone to Heaven.

Gordon Ramsay Turkey Gravy with Cider & Walnuts
    • Serves: 8-10
    • Prep Time: 20 mins
    • Total Time: 45 mins
    Ingredients
    • Excess fluid from roasted turkey
    • Bacon strips from roasted turkey
    • 2 roasted onions from roasted turkey
    • 1 roasted lemon from roasted turkey
    • 3 Rosemary sprigs
    • 2 Tomatoes, chopped
    • 2 Turkey Wings from roasted turkey
    • 2 cups dry apple cider
    • Resting juices from roasted turkey
    • 1 cup Chicken Stock
    • Handful of crushed walnuts
    Instructions
    Drain excess fluid from roasted turkey and place into a pan over low heat. Remove bacon, onions and lemon from the turkey, chop and place into pan.
    Add in 2 Rosemary sprigs and the chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking over low heat, occasionally stirring the mixture to keep it from burning.
    Tear off the wings of the turkey and add them to the mixture. If the tail is still attached, cut it off and add it as well.
    Pour in the dry apple cider. As the mixture cooks and reduces, add in the resting juices that have accumulated under the turkey while it has been resting.
    When the mixture has reduced by half, pour it through a sieve and crush as much of it through the screen as possible with the back of a ladle to extract the flavor.
    Add 1 cup of chicken stock and mix in a sprig of Rosemary.
    Place crushed walnuts on the bottom of the gravy boat and ladle gravy into the boat.

December 20, 2010 7:54 PM

Is the "dry apple cider" the alocoholic hard cider? Dry doesn't make much sense if it is the unfermented crushed apples and juice that is sold in the US but Gordon Ramsay is a Brit and hard cider is often sold in the pubs there. Woodchuck Brand "Granny Smith" Hard Cider (5% alc/vol) is more dry than their normal hard cider and I would think it would be great in this gravy. Don't worry the alcohol will boil away while cooking.

4. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Quote:OOOPS, sorry, yes the 'dry' cider is called hard cider here in the U.S.. It is the alcoholic version.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by