Goose Refuses to eat any Snacks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yeet, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Yeet

Yeet In the Brooder

May 31, 2018
    Hello! I have a goose named Keanu that is about 6/7months old that has always been a picky eater. Ive read all sorts of snack favorites of geese but the only thing he'll eat is the bird feed and my lizards collard greens (and grass ofc). Anything else he absolutely will not eat. He'll nibble it a little with the tip of his beak and then spit it out. Im not super concerned about it but im just wondering if theres anything i can do to expand his diet. Id prefer if he had a bit more variety to his eating habits but even if i try to sneak something in he'll eat around it! Has anyone ever experienced a picky goose like this? If so is there any tricks or ways to get them to eat something different?

Thank you!

Ducksandchickens and Abriana like this.
  2. 1goose2ducks

1goose2ducks Songster

Mar 17, 2018
    Have you tried giving him cauliflower leaves or kale. My picky goose does backflips for it. ( not literally backflips but you get it)

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  3. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    He's all alone? No other geese he can socialize and talk with? I'd suggest getting him another goose friend being geese are very social birds.. I don't grain my geese at all, They thrive completely on pasture.. They'll eat a few meal worms if I offer some to them but besides that I don't feed them at all..

4. Yeet

Yeet In the Brooder

May 31, 2018
    Sorry for the late reply! He hangs with my flock of ducks and grew up with his bestfriend Wesley (a duck who thinks hes a goose) since they were born a week or two apart. The two never leave eachother and since its winter here i was just seeing if anybody had suggestions since theres no grass :) Hes a pretty happy guy just hates new foods :/

5. Yeet

Yeet In the Brooder

May 31, 2018
    Ive tried Kale but ill have to test out the cauliflower! Thanks :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Romain Lettuce, alfalfa hay, peas, broccoli, purple cabbage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: