Goose Setting vs. Incubation Info Please

Discussion in 'Geese' started by littledear, Feb 21, 2012.

1. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Can anyone tell me how the mother goose feeds her new babies when they first hatch? Also how does she find them a safe source of water that they won.t drown in? I have only incubated and given my babies a shallow source of water and wild bird starter mixed with shedded lettuce. I have been incubating my first eggs but would like to let my geese set on their later eggs. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm sure more experienced goose people will come along to answer. i am new to geese and they haven't had babies yet. But what i would do with my chicken moms is to provide food right there for them, next to the nest. i would notice the mom pecking and getting pieces of food on her beak, then the babies would peck it off her beak. i generally separated my moms from the rest of the flock. i would assume with geese, if you have the food easily accessible, they would lead them to it. You would want to make sure there was water and food in a more shallow bowl for them specifically.

Looking forward to seeing more answers. :)

3. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Thanks, I also look forward to more answers because I only remember a little from my childhood and that isn't enough. I do have a shallow chick waterer that I can place by the mom for the babies and if I seperate her from the others I can put out both starter and her normal layer's pellets and wheat along with greens out for her and the babies. I know the ones I incubate will eat shredded greens along with the starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by