1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose Sex and Other Oddities

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Okay, I am now very sure that I have a goose and a gander, after having witnessed goose sex and seen firsthand that yes, Ee'qua the African is indeed a gander and Louis(e) the Toulouse is indeed a goose. Louise has laid some very yummy eggs for me and is now nesting on some well-incubated golf balls. [​IMG]

She has pretty much stopped laying and is brooding. I have no heart to tell her that her eggs aren't going to hatch. I figure going into winter is the wrong time for them to raise a family, so I'm hoping that in the spring she becomes broody again.

Here are my questions:

1. Louise is big compared to Ee'qua. Ee'qua is no slouch on size and determination, [​IMG] but I wonder if the mechanics are too difficult for them to produce a family. When Ee'qua first tried to mate, he would walk across her back and fall off, like rolling off a log. Still, I've actually seen them, ahem, connect. [​IMG] When he does, he points the tips of his wings skyward and screams his success. [​IMG] [​IMG] Can a smaller gander mate and produce offspring with a larger goose?

2. Louise isn't producing more eggs. Is she done for the season? Will she start up in the spring?

3. Does anyone have any pictures of African x Toulouse geese? These geese are the production variety, not the show variety.

4. Anything I need to be aware of?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Yes, a small gander can mate a large goose. Regardless of size they may appreciate water in which to mate, though.

Most geese don't lay in the fall, they usually only lay in the spring. You got lucky. But don't worry that she's stopped. It's normal when they go broody. She'll lay again in the spring if not sooner.

No pictures here. I just raise American Buffs. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.

It would probably be best to take the golf balls and try to break Louise of her broodiness. Incubating eggs is hard work and if they don't hatch she could end up sitting there indefinitely waiting for them to. For her health and well being it's best, since you know nothing will come of it regardless of how long she sits, to step in and break her of it now rather than wait.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Size doesn't matter.[​IMG] If he is making the connection, the deed is done. Water will help the mating process. Next spring you will be blessed with your first set of goslings. Be prepared for possible personality changes on the part of the adults as they brood and raise their goslings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by