1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goose sexing question Updated with another question!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by austinhart123, Nov 16, 2008.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i am convinced that all 4 of my geese are males....but my dad dissagrees, ive heard them all hiss and they never mate. i want to rehome 3 of them and keep my favorite and get a female or two from my friend.....but my dad wont let me unless i proove that they are all males....does anyone know how i can do that without paying 25$ each for a test...theyre butts are too fluffy to sex them manually
    New Question! can somone please post a pic of sexing a goose, i tried to do it today bit i think i did it wrong, one of the two that i suspected were females honks way deeper and the other one didnt make a single noise the whole time! the only luck i had was with the first one, it sounds like a male it is nine months old, when i sexed it a red thing that looked like a short earthworm cane out

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

"their butts are too fluffy..." HA Ha, that's the best excuse anyone's come up w/yet! I don't want to vent sex mine either;) How old are yours? Maybe they're too young yet...? And what breed(s)?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Girls most often have louder honks.

4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    lol....ive actually tried to sex them and i cant even see their vent cause of the fluff............2 of them are two years and the other two are 9mo old

5. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    also, when i had white pekin ducks, i noticed the females had paler beaks than the males, and all these have bright orande beaks (they are sebostaple)-excuse my spelling

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say they're still pretty young...I think if you wait to see any egg laying and mating you'll know, along w/listening like MP says;) My girls are very loud and now I've got to begin listening to see if I've got all girls!:O

7. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    thanks, but is it true that only males will hiss?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No. That is false.

9. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    [​IMG]......that means there is still chance that i might have females......but the thing i mentioned about the beaks in the earlier post, can u answer that please?

10. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it is not always reliable......but does feeling the pelvic bone help sex geese?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by